GT vs Cobra vs WS6

97predator said:
wow i didnt realize the price was so low. that is something to think of. i am leaning on the 99 gt, just love how they look with the cobra r goodies. and i couldnt do that to a new car under warranty. well i could, but it would be awful irresponsible, lol. the ws6 is a sweet car, but i do drive from va beach to newport news everyday, so my car sees roughly 90 miles a day. a gt may be the way to go. we'll see. i love the way a mustang sounds too. :hail2:

I live in Chesapeake, which dealership do you have the hookup at?

• Sponsors (?)

Ken01GTvert said:
I saw a Mach 1 locally advertised for $22,000 I think. Seems to me that would be a good base car to build since it's got the 32v engine and the lighter suspension (solid vs independent). Oh, the other thing to consider between GT engine and 32v (Mach 1 and Cobra) is which one can handle big HP. From what I understand the forged internal of the 32v engines are better off then the GT. Just something to think about.

someone correct me if i'm wrong here, but i think the only forged dohc engines are the 03 cobra engines, the pre 03 dohc & mach 1 engines aren't forged

2000GTnoExtras said:
Why not get the mach though? I mean you obviously have the bread and that way you can get DOHC (Cobra engine, almost) and a live axle rear end.

Last time I checked, I thought the Mach had a solid rear axel like the GT? :shrug:
And also to the author of the thread, only the 2001+ manual transmissions have been having problems. 99-2000 T45 Transmissions have been pretty good...

EDIT: Sorry 2000GTnoExtras, I misread your comment, about the axels. You are correct :nice:

2000GTnoExtras said:
Why not get the mach though? I mean you obviously have the bread and that way you can get DOHC (Cobra engine, almost) and a live axle rear end.
Ya you should get the Mach-1 bro that way you are geting a brand new car. But if you can't do that go for the cobra it looks better then the LS-1. I know the LS-1 has the power but I need looks to. Any way i love the stang and ls-1

yeah the ls1's are relativey inexpensive to mod. they really are monsters. but i agree, there are quality issues. i have a second job in a detail shop and both the interior and paint have problems. the mustang is much more a drivers car. i think the mach 1 is at the top of my list, but i have to see about cost. i want something i can hook up and drive every day.

( by the way the guy i know is not at a dealership, but a wholesaler. tell him what i want he finds it ) I know did some online checking and trans ams were murder on the insurance. although the stang wasn't pretty either. My XR7 has the 4.6, but the cougar needs alot to get a little. Rather just start with a better platform. Another question, how do Stansg ride? Although I am sure it won't be quite as nice as my car now, is it rough? I rode i na trans am and it wasnt too bad. Love the car, but once again more money is involved. Thanks for al lthe feedback everyone.

wanta5.0 said:
I have to disagree there. Heads/cam swap is way cheaper for the LS1. Lots of choices too. :shrug:

That may be true, but a majority of the parts are cheaper. Underdrive pullies for the 4.6 are on average $70-90 cheaper. Exhaust parts follow the same trend. ;)

i agree. long tubes for a t/a are over a 1000 or so. crazy. it seems the mustang is a better built car and will serve my needs better than a t/a. plus i can customize the way i want it, and not look like everyone else. :nice:

how do the 99 cobras stack up? i am thinking either a mach 1, a 99 cobra, or a 99 gt with the future( crosses fingers) Cobra Killer twin turbo on it. handling i will take care of through steeda. how do these cars ride after suspension mods? do they maintain a decent ride?

99 Cobra all the way guys.

I just picked up mine three weeks ago. $13,800 with 63,000 miles. It's in mint shape. 320hp with your 4v'er NA. Then make a phone call to ATI and order yourself a procharger kit (let's say $4500 total) and you are looking at a reliable 400 - 450 HP beast. Can't beat that. That means you'll spend around $18 - 19k and it will smoke any WS6 and you'll have the quality of a Cobra.

if cost is an issue go with a cheap gt put the kb twin screw on it and be done. 99 cobra motor is not forged. so the peak output of a relibable engine is close. the fact that 5k droped on the 9psi kb kit gets you 425 hp in one simple mod is impressive. 99 gt does not set you back that much and once that sc is bolted on you have 12sec car. I think the ls1's have great power I just dont like the cars. have to pull the motor form the bottom. pain in the ass to work on **** like that. I am a chevy guy. I don't own one now becuase they went away from the classic formula in my opinion. gay single exhaust. no trunk. hard to work on. they do perform and mods are cheaper. just buy some zo6 heads and intake. I am not a fan of the 4v 4.6. to much extra $$$ for the performace gain in my opinion. as far as the cobra out handling better than the ws6? I don't follow that. the road test I saw on the 99 cobra it wasn't any better. the motor trend people were amazed it wasn't.

I really think you should go with the car you like the look of the most. you can make all of them fast. that is why I like the gt though. save the money and buy the parts you like. I do like the mach 1's alot though but they are still going to cost more.

gotven0m said:
That may be true, but a majority of the parts are cheaper. Underdrive pullies for the 4.6 are on average $70-90 cheaper. Exhaust parts follow the same trend. ;)

What would you rather have be cheaper, Heads/cam or pullies? :nice:

I hope you're not going to base your decision on somebody else's opinion. The best thing you can do is go drive each car you're considering...then go from there. You're buying a street car not a race car so power shouldn't be nearly as important as the car itself. Each one of those cars could achieve 450+rwhp with relative ease anyway...the only difference will be how you go about doing it.

About the quality, I don't care what anybody says...Mustangs and F-bodies are about as equal as you can get. There's a pretty decent chance that either one could have some problems. My personal experience: I never had a major problem with my '96 Z, each window motor was replaced once but the drivers side was 3 y/o and the passenger side was over 5 y/o when they finally gave up. Also, I had to replace the opti but you wouldn't have to worry about that on a 98+. My '02 is absolutely problem-free after almost 2 years and 26k miles. A good friend of mine has owned three Mustangs ('95 GT, '96 GT and a '99 Cobra). The only problem I can remember him having was cracking the stock manifold on his '96, that's it.

If you really want an opinion, here's mine:

My first choice would probably be a Mach 1 (if it's new; or used w/ really low miles). You can't beat a new/almost new car and Mach 1s do look pretty bada**. On average, they may be just a tad (1-3 MPH in the 1/4) slower than an LS1 (stock vs. stock)...but not nearly enough to be a factor in your decision (at least it shouldn't be).

Second would be the WS.6. It's almost identical to my car (I love my car) but the interior is a little "nicer," it handles a little better and it looks absolutely gorgeous. The T56 is great but the 10-bolt rear is a POS. The 4L60E is nice for an auto (if you go that route). T-tops are nice, I didn't opt for them on my '02 but sometimes I wish I would've.

Third would be the Cobra. I really liked my friend's '99, handled good, pretty quick (this was post-"fix"), looked good, interior was pretty nice...not much about the car I didn't like. The only thing that pops into my head was the shifter location...too far up for me. I think I almost had to lean forward to get it into or out of 1-3-5, I could've lived with it though. I guess if you're leaning towards getting an auto, a Cobra would pretty much be out of the equation.

Your opinion is the one that ultimately matters though...so do yourself a favor and go drive the cars. After you decide which car you like the most (that's the car you should buy), then look into getting more ponies from it.

Good luck with your choice.

02LS1 said:
I hope you're not going to base your decision on somebody else's opinion. The best thing you can do is go drive each car you're considering...then go from there. You're buying a street car not a race car so power shouldn't be nearly as important as the car itself. Each one of those cars could achieve 450+rwhp with relative ease anyway...the only difference will be how you go about doing it.

About the quality, I don't care what anybody says...Mustangs and F-bodies are about as equal as you can get. There's a pretty decent chance that either one could have some problems. My personal experience: I never had a major problem with my '96 Z, each window motor was replaced once but the drivers side was 3 y/o and the passenger side was over 5 y/o when they finally gave up. Also, I had to replace the opti but you wouldn't have to worry about that on a 98+. My '02 is absolutely problem-free after almost 2 years and 26k miles. A good friend of mine has owned three Mustangs ('95 GT, '96 GT and a '99 Cobra). The only problem I can remember him having was cracking the stock manifold on his '96, that's it.

If you really want an opinion, here's mine:

My first choice would probably be a Mach 1 (if it's new; or used w/ really low miles). You can't beat a new/almost new car and Mach 1s do look pretty bada**. On average, they may be just a tad (1-3 MPH in the 1/4) slower than an LS1 (stock vs. stock)...but not nearly enough to be a factor in your decision (at least it shouldn't be).

Second would be the WS.6. It's almost identical to my car (I love my car) but the interior is a little "nicer," it handles a little better and it looks absolutely gorgeous. The T56 is great but the 10-bolt rear is a POS. The 4L60E is nice for an auto (if you go that route). T-tops are nice, I didn't opt for them on my '02 but sometimes I wish I would've.

Third would be the Cobra. I really liked my friend's '99, handled good, pretty quick (this was post-"fix"), looked good, interior was pretty nice...not much about the car I didn't like. The only thing that pops into my head was the shifter location...too far up for me. I think I almost had to lean forward to get it into or out of 1-3-5, I could've lived with it though. I guess if you're leaning towards getting an auto, a Cobra would pretty much be out of the equation.

Your opinion is the one that ultimately matters though...so do yourself a favor and go drive the cars. After you decide which car you like the most (that's the car you should buy), then look into getting more ponies from it.

Good luck with your choice.

:stupid:

TR03Mach1 said:
Ummm, if you can find someone to mooch a D-plan off of, with the current rebates and craziness Ford is offering, you can get a 2003 Mach 1 out the door for about $22k! For a little xtra, like around $25k, you could have a 2004 Mach 1!

Hey, did you mooch a D Plan and get yours for $22K, or you just heard that?