Guide Plates???

88-378

Aug 10, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
I have a brand new set of AFR 165 comp ported heads and am having trouble with pushrods and guideplates.:nonono:

The exhaust side is not ligning up. Can I clearance the plates with a dremel? I hate to cut them and weld back together.

• Sponsors (?)

Sometimes the holes that the stud passes through are not round, so you can loosen up the studs and slide the plates over a little bit. But yes you can clearance the plates also if need be. You can also try fliping the plates over, where the top side is facing down, on some occasions that works too.

Will clearancing the slot (widening) cause to much possible lateral play for the pushrod? Is it better to just go with the ISKY adj plates.. This way the pushrod slots stay the same.

If you're going to use 1.7 rockers, be aware that the Isky guide slots may not be deep enough and the pushrod may hit them near the top of the lobe lift and make noise. Isky is aware of this problem and was going to make some adjustable guides with .100" deeper slots - I got tired of waiting, so I don't know if it ever happened.

Spoke with Jason at AFR and he says to leave the guideplates alone. Due to the position of the valves the rocker arms will be a little pidgeon toed.
I looked at mine and if do use the adjustable plates to "straighten out" the rockers then the rollers will not be centered on the valve stem tip.
By centered I mean left to right....
Open to suggestions, but looks like I will leave mine the way they are...