Hard brakes after header install

smiller43

Apr 16, 2006
Back in 2007, I had a new exhaust put on my 5.0. It consists of Flowtech long tubes, catless x-pipe, flowtech terminators and 2.5 inch tails. In order to install the headers, the shop said they had to lift the motor. They also cut and crimped the AIR tube the runs from the smog pump into the exhaust system. Ever since I've had it back, the brake pedal has been super hard. I cant even lock the brakes up for a panic stop. I just recently checked the vacuum tree and everything looks good. I dont know what the problem is. The only other thing I've done since then is cut the whole AIR hose off and plugged it since I didn't want a hose flopping around and possibly getting caught in a moving part. My fiance and I are thinking of taking the car to Florida for our honeymoon in August. I want to fix this problem now so as to prevent it from becoming a major issue while that far away from home. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this?

• Sponsors (?)

With the engine off, pump the pedal a few times. Now rest your foot on the pedal and apply some pressure. Start the engine. Does the pedal sink 1/2" or so? If not, investigate the booster, and vacuum line from intake manifold to brake booster. Could be a lack of vacuum at the booster causing the issue

mustang5l5 most likely hit the nail on the head. I am also thinking it's possible when they raised the engine they might have used a long pipe to raise and wiggle the headers in, possibly crimping a brake line by the proportioning valve. If they cut your smog tube they should have used a heater hose to reconnect the tube back up, so they sound like butchers.