has anyone taken their mustang to england? mot test ?'s

mootang

Dec 5, 2004
texas
I know its a long shot but i thought i'd ask anyways. just wondering if it is worth taking the car with me or not. I don't know if anyone remembers me but i used to be on here all the time before i went into the air force. as you've probably guessed i'm getting stationed in england.

• Sponsors (?)

TAKE IT. I am also in the AF, and I just had a good friend of mine go to england. The thing is, the AF won't pay for you to ship a car back to the US unless you take one over there with you. So even if you take it over there and sell it (and I bet you'd get good money for it), at least when you come back you can bring whatever you have over here with you.

Also, as far as gas is concerned, my friend says if you get it on base, it's only $2.50 a gal, but outside of base it's like 85 pence a liter or something,

Also, a little heads up. My friend had a 2005 Jetta, and he had some problems licensing his car over there. Apparently, you have to have a 'rear fog light', your turn signals HAVE to be amber, and they cannot interfere with the brakelights (ie, they have to be their own element, they cannot just be the brakelight blinking).

Edit: The inspection is very strict over there, I don't know what kind of shape your car is in, but it'll probably be a b*tch if it's not in good shape. I hear they're anal about body damage and stuff, as well as emissions. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll call my friend.

One of my Max Powers (Brittish import car magazine) has a writeup on a guy over there who brought over his 87-93 gt. They thought it was pretty cool I guess, but I think they also mentioned something about the ungodly fuel prices.

Good luck on the export tails! They're extremely rare. If you find the 94-95 ones .... be prepared to pay $600+. 96-98 exports look okay & are a little easier to find .... but they are still a bit pricey.

I think a guy on here named Iron Medic might have taken his car to England (he is back now, and does not really post too much IIRC). He has a fox.

thanks for the imput. i'm most worried about the emissions. i don't know if they do any visual on the exhaust. i have long tubes and i thought maybe if i throw some cats on there it might pass the test. also i'm not looking forward to them drilling big ass holes in the fender and trunk lid for the extra blinker and rear fog lights.

My friend said they did a visual on his Jetta, but they mostly were just looking for mufflers and cats. You probably could get away with the LTs. Also, they don't drill holes in your car or anything, they just tell you what's wrong and let you figure it out.

Edit: I wonder if you could move your turn signal bulbs to the factory reverse light location, use an amber bulb, and use the rear foglight that you need anyway for reverse lights?

Edit #2 Found some 96-98 for 4 bills Here (sorry for pic size)

9698%20EXPORT4.jpg

Just got off the phone with my friend, he said the lens does not have to be amber, so you can use the euro tails, or your factory reverse light location. Actually, he said that's how a lot of guys do it there; they run a wire from the front turn signal lights to the reverse light bulbs and use an amber bulb. He said you don't need reverse lights over there.

He also mentioned the main thing they look for in exhaust is holes and rust.

thanks for your help! i know they do a smog test as well but im assuming that the emissions #'s is all that matters, i dont think they check for aftermarket parts. i think ill just throw some cats on and hope it passes!

also im going to look into using a side mirror w/the turn signal for the left front blinker. that way i won't have to drill holes into my fender. so the only thing that ill have to worry about after that is how to mount the rear foglight without jackin up my car.

Don't know if it helps any or not, but my old boss was stationed ove in germany in the army for 20 years. He told me every part that gets put on the car like wings, tires, rims, performance parts, etc all have to be inspected and pass before the car can be driven on the road again. No idea if England is the same way but you may want to check if they'll inspect stuff like that.

Be ready for high gas prices. If you can buy on base, do it. There are so many taxes on gas in Europe it isn't even funny. That is the reason they have diesel cars there, it's not because they are environmental tree huggers looking to pay a crazy price premium for an overpriced "green" car (like limp wristed Prius drivers). It's because the taxes are so warped that diesel is lots cheaper.

They pay about what we pay for a liter, comared to our price for a gallon. For example, I ran a google search and the first link I found had pricing from 2000 (dated, but you get the idea). At that time, a liter of gas cost about 40 cents here, while the same liter of gas would set you back $1.18 in the UK, about 3 times as much. BTW, my rule of thumb (they pay for liters what we pay for gallons) is about right - the conversion from liters to gallons is about 3 to one.