Headers on 96-98 GT

jmk97GT

Oct 29, 2004
I am thinking about getting a completely new exhaust system for my 97 GT.

I took a look at how the headers were placed in comparasin to the frame and I noticed that it looks like I would have a hell of a time getting them off. The frame is right below the headers and there is virtually no room between the side of the frame and the engine.

So my question is, has anyone ever changed headers on a 96-98 GT without having to jack up the engine?

• Sponsors (?)

It is best if you drop the whole front suspension. Once you do one, it isnt all that bad, its just the first time that is a royal PITA.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can do it with a decent set of instructions (i dont have a link to any, but i am sure somebody will post a link). Or you can pay somebody to do them.

If you are within driving distance to Baltimore i can do them :D

-Mike

I have previously dropped my front suspension to check the struts and replace the ball joints. Thanks for the offer, but I'm a bit far (Chicago area :-/)

I really dont want to take it in for someone to do, I'd rather do it myself. Maybe i'll drop the whole front suspension (i may want to replace my struts anyways).

I'll see if anyone else has some input.