Headers Question

• Sponsors (?)

I would do a search just type in brands like bbk, etc. you will get tons of hits and some really good info. I have done that for alot of stuff.

I'm running bbks, I like them, flange is nice ,they went in well and sound nice. you are going to get tons of different answers though since there are so many options, just like mufflers ,etc. I know the mac headsers are nice also but they have individual flanges vs solid flange which make sealing them a pia. some guys like the low cost summit ones.

flowtech junk. no name ebay headers junk. summit headers like I said some guys really like them for the price, summit stands buy their stuff usually(probally the only low buck header I would trust). you probally wouldn't be unhappy with any of the major brands like.

Like I wrote watch out for the headers that don't have a full one piece flange like mac and I think bassani, they are good headers just a real pain to seal. make sure you get good gaskets like felpro's that is key also, don't use junk cheapies they will leak no matter what headers.

hopefully some the other guys jump in, good luck!

I bought the MAC ones....POS...very hard to get to seal properly!

I did some research on this also and decided to go with BBK....to me it was the best value, and the solid flange ensures a good seal, and I have enver heard anyone complain about the longevity. Spend the extra $$ and get the ceramic coated ones.

it can be debated both ways if solid or individual flanges are better. old school guys used to often cut the flanges so they WOULD be individual to get them to seal better. if a solid flanged header has the slightest warp to it, it wont seal worth a **** anyway UNLESS you cut them to be separate.

that said, i am running MAC equal lengths with no problem at all. they dont leak and never have. the only issue with separate flanges is that if they are used and you try to put them back on they can be a pain in the ass as at least one of the holes will be slightly off. it just takes some tweaking.

i would reccomend skipping all the "shorty" crap and go straight for the longtube style. that will actually give you a gain.

the shorty style headers are only around for a nice looking header that is easy to install for the average joe. longtubes really are better but are harder to put on.

shorties should help out some and maybe make the car sound better but i wouldnt go into it expecting some HUGE gain

i have shorties now and am hoping to get long tubes sometime

i just bought flowtech headers and they fir good with no problems, but best bet probally is to get the summit shorties, summit shorties is probally quite cheaper, you probally not get much gain in hp.

I also agree with fox fan. Changing from stock manifolds to equal or unequal length shorties will not give you much of a HP gain IF ANY! Go right for long tubes. I used to run the ford racing shorties a very very nice shorty header and i swapped them out for BBK's long tubes. There was a notable difference in midrange torque and sound as well. long tubes are actually quieter when cruising but when you put the hammer down...they are LOUD! If i could give any advice it would be only do the exhaust system once...and do it right.

If you are set on shorties get the FMS ceramics. BBK is typically too wide at the collectors for aftermarket H/X pipes to fit. Even their own BBK X doesn't fit well. As far as equal length vs non, the power difference is so nul if any. Get whatever is cheaper.
Kevin