Exhaust Headers

Hey whats up guys? so i have a question that i hope one of you can answer and or help me out with,
today i replaced my headers and lets just say never again will i try to do that again lol.
so everything finally went into place but now my car sounds real bad like theres a clicking noise coming from the engine this noise was never there prior to this, i accidentally broke a spark plug and replaced it with a random one i found in my garage, my question is did i not tighten them good or is the spark plug to blame for the weird noise?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

It's either a leak from the headers gasket (they sonetimrs need to be retightened) or the random spark plug doesn't fit.

You should get the right spark plug.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys, yeah i used the gaskets that came with the bbk headers and from reading on here it looks like im going to go buy some new ones along with new spark plugs.
i think they didnt seal right because i installed the two screws down at the connector pipe first, the reason i did this is because if i do the manifold screws first its impossible to align the
studs into the exhaust pipe any tips for this?

OK, you have a header gasket leak. Undue the headers at the collectors, then remove the header bolts at the head. Make sure the exhaust port area on the heads is clean. Carefully use a razor blade and some brakecleen to clean them. Get a good set of Felpro or Percy's exhaust gaskets and ARP bolts. If the heads are aluminum put anti sieze on the bolt threads. Install the headers with the gaskets installed and snug them all up. Torque them down to about 12-15 ft lb from the inside out. Then go and reinstall the mid pipe to teh collectors evenly, going back and forth on each side to tighten them up or you will cock the pipe and have a leak. When all is tightened up, go back and check all the header bolts again for torque. Start and run the car and after it warms up turn it off and let it cool, then retorque all the bolts again as they can back off. You may need to retighten the header and collector bolts a few times. That is why I use stainless steel allen head header bolts with lock washers- tighten them up once and they never back out.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah man its my first time working on a car so i just winged it and failed lol, i will remove the bolts on the h pipe and push it back so i have room to play and install the bottom bolts last.

Do you have a BBK mid-pipe to go with those BBK headers? Typically a brand name header fits up best with it's same brand H/X pipe. Mixing and matching could possibly lead to collectors being misaligned and cause a headache.

Do you have a BBK mid-pipe to go with those BBK headers? Typically a brand name header fits up best with it's same brand H/X pipe. Mixing and matching could possibly lead to collectors being misaligned and cause a headache.

Naw i will be using my stock one since i am currently saving for a transmission rebuild. i thought of buying a new one but just rather do the tranny first.