Hearing A Popping Sound When Disengaging Clutch?

This just started tonight on my way home from a buddies. When I depress the clutch pedal Im getting like a snapping or popping sound and its pretty loud. Does it wheather the car is on or off and it can be heard both inside or outside of the car. The clutch pedal feels fine and it does it about halfway through the pedal stroke. Also when it makes the sound I can feel it in the shifter handle and in my foot. Any idears? Im also gonna throw another question in the mix. Is it a PITA to pull off the bell housing with the motor still in the car? When I did my tranny swap a few weeks back I only swapped the tranny. The previous owner has like a nut with a slice in it behind the clutch fork, im quessing to take up more slack in the clutch cable. initial thought for me was thats where my popping sound is coming from. Id like to do a clutch thats where the bell housing question comes from.

• Sponsors (?)

I had this issue and no one knew what it was , I dont know what your cable set up is but I have a max motorsports quadrant cable and
fire wall adjuster and I found I had my
fire wall adjusted to tight causing the cable to pop I back it off a half turn and haven't had an issue since

No it's not a pain in the ass to take the bellhousing off while the motor is in. The ONLY hard thing about it may be is if you have long tubes, some brands cause a little bit of issue and you have to wiggle and turn it to get it out. Just unbolt it and go from there, won't be too hard.

Deff think something is binding, and with the so called "mods" I would suggest taking the trans back out and pulling the bellhousing. Inspect the clutch fork and the t/o baring, as well as the pivot pin, and the pressure plate. If the quadrant is missing, that could be a major rig job that should be put back to stock configuration. Also, if your clutch cable is damaged, it can cause a strange increase/decrease in pressure as it is hanging on the sheathing of the inner cable, causing the "poping" noise, as it isn't smooth through the stroke of the clutch.

to find the quadrant look to the left of your gas pedal it's on that side of the pedals the cable comes out of the fire wall into the car and goes right into the quadrant ... If you
think yours is botched up and have some extra cash the maximum motorsports piece feels great

I had a similar problem. Turns out, get this, the firewall where the clutch cable come thru was cracking and CAVING IN!
I hope to God that's not your problem.

I too hope to god thats not my problem. the noise acctually comes and goes in the last few days. Im going to look again tonight for the quadrant now that I have a better idea where to look. Ill post my results back up. And ever since I got the car I noticed there is alot of play in the clutch. Theres tension the whole stroke of the pedal but it doesnt engage untill the top of the stroke.