heater core hose..found something, what is it?

1992mustangLX

Jun 13, 2007
Hey guys, I replaced the heater core coolant hoses that go for the lines on the upper intake to the heater core lines on the firewall. When replacing the the larger line on the right, I found this wierd tapered peice of metal in the line that seems as though its in the line to slow down coolant flow to keep it in the heater core. I will try to get a picture of it but does anyone know of any part that is in that coolant hose? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

That is a flow restrictor and it needs to be in there, it does just what I stated restricts the coolant flow going into the heater core dropping the pressure down which is supposed to keep the core from blowing out.

There is a flow restrictor recommended for use with many 5.0 Mustangs. It slows down the flow and helps prolong the life of the heater core.

See Mustang for more information.

Ok wow glad I asked. From the write up Jrichker posted it is obviously a very crucial thing to put in. Thanks god I even looked down the tube in the first place to find the restrictor. Thanks for the fast replies everyone!