Help Chosing A Carb

Live2shred303

Jul 20, 2012
im trying to pick out a carburettor from summit racing.
all of them are either electric or manual choke.
i need a vacuum choke.
it says secondary type: vacuum.
does that mean you can do either or?

• Sponsors (?)

Electric choke models use a heating element in the choke housing that slowly heats and a bi-metalic coil spring opens the choke plate. Manual choke model needs a cable to operate.

The vacuum secondary refers to the method that opens the secondary throttle blades - it has nothing to do with choke.

I'm not sure if new carbs are offered with a "vacuum choke" which uses vacuum to pull exhaust manifold heated air into the choke housing.

im trying to pick out a carburettor from summit racing.
all of them are either electric or manual choke.
i need a vacuum choke.

i have never heard of a vacuum choke carb. a vacuum pull off for the choke has been used in the past though. every choke system i have ever seen is either manual of some form of heated bimetalic spring system. some are electric, some are water heated, and some are exhaust heated. the electric choke system is the most reliable and user friendly system.

it says secondary type: vacuum.

this type uses the vacuum created in the primary venturies, or the weight of incoming air to open the secondaries. this is best for a street engine.

i dont know what the combination is, but if its even a stock 289/302 and i needed a choked carb i would run an electric choke quick fuel ss series 650 double pumper. my early car had hwy gear and a stock converter with a stock 289 and even with the lightest spring in the vac secondaries it never even came close to a bog. so 4150 all the way.

i have always ran holleys ,but get a holley trick kit .you can fine tune the accelerator/
when it opens and how much. change the accelerator pumps out with the green alcohol pump. the black pump get stiff and doesnt work well after a while, the green ones last forever and stay soft. durring winter and cold wheather the black pumps hardly work at all and sometimes make it hard to start.