help deciding on linscence plate location and stripped phillips head

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so i had my bumper cover liscence plate bracket holes filled with bondo when i got it painted. i put the liscence plate in the winshield on the drivers side. but it squeaks. if i grab it and bend it away from the winshield about an inch it shuts up. should i put a bolt of some sort through the hole to hold it out(and oviously something on the end to not gouge my winshield) or should i just say screw it and put it back on the bumper? stock headlights, hood, bumper, and fogs if it helps. let me know.

also i tore my lower shift boot putting my MGW in, and i have a new one. this time i took the whole console out, and got to the last bolt and it stripped. its a phillips head thats flush. screwed into metal. its one of the 4 behind where the radio is screwed into metal. i really want to take the console out down to my tranny tunnel so i can get it bolted in right this time, but do i need to take the radio out? its all one piece...... suggestions please?

thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

i say screw font plates. if i ever do have to run one i am going to make brackets from the crash bumper or whatever i can attatch it to through the main air inlet and bolt it to the brackets so i dont have to drill holes or anything. in my 67 i ran the windshield thing for a bit and just said it fell off so i put it there temporarily, although i had a fiberglass front valence and nowhere for a plate. i would just run it in the windshield and say you are in the process of making a bracket to not mess up the paint.

my buddie zip tied his plate to the front of his passenger side sun visor, so whenever he drives around, he just flips it down. not exactly legal, but hell, screw it (no pun intended)