Help me with some body repairs

nmcgrawj

Advanced Member
Sep 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
So i've gotta fix a few things...and im gonna outsource some work but try to minimize as much by doing prep and anything else myself.

Anyone know how to remove the front bumper reinforcement? The drivers side "tab" (that bolts to the car) is bent). I briefly looked at this over the winter, is it in with rivets? Thus being a drill out and use a bolt/nut to put the new one on?

Picture for reference

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-9...c0.m245&_trkparms=72:1205|65:12|39:1|240:1318

And i saw this on here before but who knows what all you gotta do to remove the "arch" over the doors? I was trying to remove mine and snapped it in half. Gonna need a new one but still need to get the old one off.

• Sponsors (?)

the arch over the door, iirc is held in from the inside, so you will have to pull ur headliner and rear panels of the interior to get to the hardware.

the bumper support, i just changed mine to a racing light weight bar and it's easy to take the stock one off.
on the ends you should have a foam piece on both sides that easily comes out. behind that there is 2 bolts on both sides. i'll try and get pics tonight of the stock support off the car and show where the bolts are.

good luck
joe

for the arch,you can leave the headliner in place.
remove the interior plastic peice around the 1/4 window,it is held on by the seat belt thing,and the coat hanger,remove those and pull panel by the edges.

remove the 5(?) 7/16 nut holding the sail panel on.

for the arch,pull out the weather stripping,remove the metal rail that holds the weatherstripping in place,it is secured by a series of torx screws,pull rail off.

under there the arch it held on by a few philips screws,remove those.
dont forget about that little bolt holding the end on by the door hinge.

for the arch,you can leave the headliner in place.
remove the interior plastic peice around the 1/4 window,it is held on by the seat belt thing,and the coat hanger,remove those and pull panel by the edges.

remove the 5(?) 7/16 nut holding the sail panel on.

for the arch,pull out the weather stripping,remove the metal rail that holds the weatherstripping in place,it is secured by a series of torx screws,pull rail off.

under there the arch it held on by a few philips screws,remove those.
dont forget about that little bolt holding the end on by the door hinge.

ok looks like i just stopped early on that rail part (behind the top of the window when u close the door right?)

Does the panel have any sort of "pop out" type of removal? Trying to get an idea on how much force is necessary to get it out once u remove all the screws. Part of the reason i snapped my stock on is i thought i had it and only had to pop it out of place....NOPE! :bang:

the arch over the door, iirc is held in from the inside, so you will have to pull ur headliner and rear panels of the interior to get to the hardware.

the bumper support, i just changed mine to a racing light weight bar and it's easy to take the stock one off.
on the ends you should have a foam piece on both sides that easily comes out. behind that there is 2 bolts on both sides. i'll try and get pics tonight of the stock support off the car and show where the bolts are.

good luck
joe

More details on the racing light weight bar please. How much weight savings? Are you giving up much for "protection" in a crash? Where didy ou buy it?

ok looks like i just stopped early on that rail part (behind the top of the window when u close the door right?)

Does the panel have any sort of "pop out" type of removal? Trying to get an idea on how much force is necessary to get it out once u remove all the screws. Part of the reason i snapped my stock on is i thought i had it and only had to pop it out of place....NOPE! :bang:

i dont remember any clips,should just wiggle off,iirc.

Posted via Mobile Device

Someone makes them on corral saves quite a few pounds... but basically all protection is gone....:notnice:

~NATE~ if you want i could find the post and pm you a link. i believe his thread has all the info.

yes i bought it off of a seller on corral.

and i wouldn't say all the protection is gone, not at all. the bar is very strong. i'll put it like this the stock is a hollow box type tube, u can see it in the link from the thread starter. also has a **** load of foam infront of it, now if you think that foam is any protection your kidding yourself.

i'm not saying that the bar is indestructable, but i bet if i swing a hammer to the stock one without the foam i'll bend it no problem. the bar will make my arm hurt before i put a dent in it. granted me swinging a hammer is nothing compared to a collision. but if i think i could dent the stock one with a hammer swing and not the bar. i will take the bar anyday.

Nate ~ heres a pic of the stock bumper support off the car once the foam front is removed. it's just a pic of the left corner. in that window you should have a piece of foam that you slide out through the side. behind that there are 2 bolts, it's the same on both sides.

and a pic of the "for off road use only" bar.

hope it helps.

Attachments

• bumper-support-bar-resized.jpg
    bumper-support-bar-resized.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF1481-resized.jpg
    DSCF1481-resized.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 82
I believe the foam is there to keep the soft urethane bumper in place, or else it would start sagging quickly.

Nice write-up on removing the sail panel, always wanted to know how to remove it. I also remember reading somewhere it's just a pop-off part. Obviously not.