!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!! Pilot Bearing STUCK in engine, Help me get it out!

• Sponsors (?)

You dont need to do any of those things! You could damage the crank! Take a bolt, or some sort of steel shaft that barely fits into the hole of the pilot bearing. When you find something that fits, take a grease gun, and fill the pilot bearing hole full. Take the shaft, bolt, whatever, stick it in the hole, and hit it with a hammer. Works like a F-N' charm. The bolt pushes the grease, which hydraulically pushes the pilot bearing out.
Peace
Ted
I have the pilot bearing stuck in my 1990 F150. Grease, paper, bread, puller nothing works. There's not enough on the back of the bearing to grab onto. It keeps sliding off. I guess I'll try the chisel unless someone has a better idea.

If you are carefull you can drill it out.

30 seconds later you're all done.

Good Luck :D

Robert
That's some of the hardest steel made. I've broken 2 carbide bits and damn hear burned a drill up. However a friend at a machine shop said a huge drill press and special bit could possibly do it. But he said a regular drill don't have enough torque or push trip did it

You should be able to rent a pilot bearing puller from a parts store. I've never had any luck with a slide hammer, or any other method except the puller.

119819.jpg

You should be able to rent a pilot bearing puller from a parts store. I've never had any luck with a slide hammer, or any other method except the puller.

119819.jpg
I actually have this puller that I rented from autozone. The bearing is all the way in and there is nothing on the backside for the puller to latch onto. I'm guessing it's never been taken out. That's 28 years it's been in there

I actually have this puller that I rented from autozone. The bearing is all the way in and there is nothing on the backside for the puller to latch onto. I'm guessing it's never been taken out. That's 28 years it's been in there

I had a similar issue with that same bearing before and I had a worn out slide hammer to work with:

The [real] problem that you're having removing that bearing is because it is cocked sideways in the hole. This can happen if care is not taken to pull the bearing out evenly. Sometimes, all of the care in the world will not get the bearing to move out evenly so it can happen to even the most experienced mechanic.

What I did in your situation was to put the hook portion of the slide hammer into the bearing so that it had the best seat possible under the circumstances. I then beat a wooden dowel into the hole to wedge the hook into the bearing. I beat that wooden dowel like it owed me money. It was not moving.

I summon my retard strength, issued an incantation of obscenities that would curl your chest hair and ripped that MuvvaEffah out of the car and at that point, hoping that the engine and transmission were going to be ripped out with it.

It was about this time that I vowed to track down and destroy any living members of the original design team. The trouble is that I trained dolphins for this task and the dude lives somewhere in the midwest. :shrug: I would appreciate hearing from anyone who possesses large mobile fish tanks. Thanks!

Fill the cavity behind the bearing with grease and pack it as full as possible. The use an old input shaft from a T5, stick in the pilot bearing hole and give it several good whacks. You may need to add more grease as the bearing moves out of place. Hydraulic pressure will drive the bearing out without damaging anything. It works great, the only downside is the mess you have to clean up when you finish.

Reactions: 1 user
I did the grease trick with a sacrificial extension bar...... except I used white bread instead of grease. Bread packs in, pushes bearing out, and no grease splatter.

couple years ago, I used the bread trick on my daughters old 2002 mustang... it popped out... had to keep packing bread in a couple times, but didn't make any greasy mess... I believe I just used a 3/8 extension if I remember.