Help! Power Steering Problems

69Tool

Feb 23, 2006
Hello, my power steering problems are driving me crazy...the history of it is that last summer, it was working, however it would cut out at times. The fluid was always at acceptable levels and there was a minimal leak in one of the lines.

So one of the last few runs of last summer it kicked out again and hasn't worked since. I replaced the lines, ram and rebuilt the control valve, none of which worked. The pump does not leak and appears fine, but how can I tell?

I figured I would buy a new control valve then and bought one from Laurel Mountain Mustang. After installing it, I have not been able to get the fitting on the control valve that returns fluid to the pump to stop from leaking. Even without starting the car, after installing the new CV it seeps out. Any thoughts? Could that be bad as well?

The only thing not new on the system is the pump, but would it be intermittent? Anyone ideas on the control valve "return" fitting? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Without doubt, the seat, and or hose in the return port is bad, or a missing seat.

Did you make sure the seat was in the port?? I have receive control valves with a seat missing.

As for the hit/miss working. Did you use FORD Type F Transmission fluid?? If not that might be the problem. Clear PS Fluids will not work in the old thompson pumps. Same with Dexron, Synthetics, etc, none are thick enough.

Dan @

Chockostang

Thanks. I will contact Laurel Mountain about the seat. I have been using Type F transmission fluid. Obviously, without being able to seal the control valve, I suspect PS wont work until it can sustain pressure without leaking?

So after rebuilding the original control valve, if I had no leaks, then that would point to the pump given that all lines/CV/Ram have been replaced, correct? What can be done to fix the pump? It spins freely and I know a rebuild kit only has a few seals. Thoughts?

I know you have spent lots o cash already on your steering, so did I a few months ago, but if I had to do it again I would drop 1000 bucks and get the borgenson conversion kit, gets rid of that control valve, those extra hoses and slave cylinder and makes it one unit (similar to the old chevy gear boxes). Real nice setup, once my old 'stang gearbox gets too sloppy im going to do it...

I actually got a rebuilt Bendix unit from O'Reilly and it was considerably cheaper (180 bucks) than most other places, had new seats and everything, works great...

A Rebuilt Bendix is FAR Superior to the new stuff out there, No Question.

The Argentinas have yet to figure out how to read a Mic, Apply the concepts, and give a darn---Just there to sell a very cheap, mass produced, PoOOR quality material to us.

Yes, all these are made in Argentina, not in the US.

Dan @

Chockostang