Help with alumCJ heads!! please

quartermileking

Feb 21, 2011
I just started putting my 460 Stroker together, after 2 years of buying all parts. after 7000$ ouch im there. Already runnin in to probs. First put my APR studs in block, went to put my alum cobrajet heads on the studs are diff then reg 460 studs now I have to eat them?around 250$ gone. Then im ready to buy a pair of Hooker Super Comp headers new in box on line 350$ great deal I look and the flange is diff on these heads that i have deff ford cj.some one said i may have to run chevy headers. Im getting pissed already

. Does anyone know what i an talking about and can help?My cuzin runs same set up but ironheads not cj and his headers wont match the flanges on my heads he has kooks headers.Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks Ric / Help on A460 heads //

Rick thanks I fig some of it out . What I have is a pair of A460-heads. They are 2" taller then castiorn cj heads.Then I noticed the bolt holes for the a460 head are stagerd the reg cj heads holes are side by side for the headers to bolt up. Now im thinking is this going to be to high with the valvecovers on that its not going to leave any room for the brakemaster c. Someone told me i might have to move itto the inside of the car noway there must be somthin diff i can do. Thanks for your help i have to slow down Iam so close i want it together tonight put down 10sec pass tomm . Im sure we all have had that feelin.Than

Yes. A460's use BBC exhaust port pattern. Custom headers usually if the engine is installed in a Ford chassis because most companies don't offer a BBC into a Ford car-not to mention that the BBF is wider/taller than a BBC anyway which adds insult to injury.

10's? LOL...with any kind of cam & compression, plus the right intake & exhaust, I've seen A460 engines run mid 7's in the 1/4 mile on a heavy dragster. Good heads. Friend of mine runs a 514" with the OLD CJ aluminum heads (not the A heads), 1050 dominator on gas in a 3100 lb Mustang-and he's run some 8.90's. And....years ago when they let us, I rode with him down the track, holding a 10# nitrous bottle against my chest while we went 5.51/133 in the 1/8 mile. Wheels WAY up at the line (bumper dragger-literally). He was upset that he scratched up the rear bumper cover.

10 sec timeslip is SIMPLE with a A-head big block. Well, if it's built right anyway. Take your time and it'll reward you in the end!