Help won't start

Ray@VSK

Aug 27, 2004
I don't know what the hell happened but I'm pretty sure I've got a blown headgasket as I've slowly been loosing coolant & earlier I fired it up & filled up the reserve & took it down the road & while I was rolling in nuetral I shut it off to restart so the low collant light will go off but it will not start, it turns over & is building up fuel pressure to the line & is getting spark even @ the #1 spark plug wire, I checked the inerta switch, changed the cap & rotor & it still will not start, there is a real strong smell of gas in the valve cover when I took off my breather any suggestions ?

• Sponsors (?)

has it spit any codes? when you say 'building fuel pressure' what do you mean? one should have full pressure within a second or two.

i would be real sure you have a quality spark. also, if flooded, one can floor the gas while (and ONLY WHILE) cranking - this will cut the injector pulse.

have you pulled a plug to see if it is covered in gas (read fouled)?

i would do some basic testing and go from there. if you want, find Jrichker's no start checklist - it lists almost every possible cause of a no start situation (and does it methodically).

good luck.

Since you have spark and fuel and smell gas, it sounds flooded to me. Holding the accerator pedal to the floor and cranking it will cut fuel and feed it more air to correct the flooding. You could just let it sit for 1/2 hr and it will evaporate. Dont run the starter more that 10 sec. at a time, and dont run it too much or you will overheat and destroy it.

I got fuel pressure, I can release it & turn on the key & it pumps right back up, I can hear pump aswell, I got spark, how much I don't know but I did lay the #1 wire on the supercharger & turned it over & seen spark run out about a inch long & ground it'self out so.

I was also thinking flooded aswell just seems odd for it to flood for basically no reason & being I turned it over a bunch of times & even with throttle open, anyother suggestions ?

a bad pump will still make noise (prime) even if the pressure is inadequate. are you sure you have ~40 psi or whatever it is you run?

with spark, what i like to do: grab an old but clean spark plug. put a plug wire (from a plug in the motor) on the old plug and set the plug on the upper intake, so that the plug's threads rest on the metal upper. now crank it and see how the spark looks as it jumps the electrode to ground strap on the plug. i find this to be more reliable in trying to decipher the spark quality than a random air gap with a nail or screwdriver.

good luck.