Hit battery with wrench while connected

mustangramair

Feb 24, 2004
Iowa
Hey guys, i was working on my 89 GT today and i forgot to disconnect the battery. Well a wrench hit the postive battery terminal and something else because it sparked and smoked. Now my car doesn't have any power going to the anything. The fuel pump doesn't turn on, no dome lights, no headlights, nothing. Did i just screw my whole electrical system? Is there some main fuse i might have blown? Is there any fuse box besides the one below the steering column? Man i feel like the biggest idiot alive!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guy, the fuses looked good. My brother also told me to change the battery so i will do that tomorrow. The only thing with the battery is that we checked it with a voltage meter and it seemed to be putting out power. I will also check the fuseable link. Thanks for all the quick responces.

wow that sucks man. Yeah sounds like you killed your battery. Hopefully you bought one with a warranty :D. Just tell them that it died and your car wont start and they will replace it under warranty no questions asked.

Try taking the battery out and having it load tested. You cannot check the power of a battery with a multi-meter. All you can do is check the voltage. Parts stores will check this for free. I have never heard of killing a battery that quick though. Only way I can imagine killing a battery with a wrench is to lay it across the terminals for a few minutes. Unless your battery was already near the end of its life span.

Wow I'm going to have to be careful. I have hit the battery (both ends) and all is did is make me jump each time and make a nice fireworks show:shrug:

Sorry for the misfortune...:(

You'll get it:nice:

Ive shorted my battery many times with the end of a wrench, and the only damage was to the wrench and my ego. My buddy once burned a hole straight through his thumb hooking up a battery with the starter wire jammed between the header and motor. But his battery was fine. I would think maybe your positive wire burnt up, or maybe your terminals just came loose. What does the volt meter read? if it is over 12.6 odds are the battery is good, and anything above 10 should give you at least a dim dome light. I know a voltage check doesnt allow for a load check, but it should tell you weather or not the battery is to dead to even turn on the dome light.

Anyway, there is a single 2 gauge wire that runs from the positive battery terminal to the 'bat' terminal on the solenoid. Check for voltage where it hits the solenoid.

I would more than likely think its a fusible link. Try voltage dropping acroos them with your DVOM before you replace the battery. Like already stated if its at least showing 12 volts then you should get something turning on even briefly. Ive seen wires melt before though so thats another posssibility. How long were the two touching or did it get fused there?

Zero_chance said:
I would more than likely think its a fusible link. Try voltage dropping acroos them with your DVOM before you replace the battery. Like already stated if its at least showing 12 volts then you should get something turning on even briefly. Ive seen wires melt before though so thats another posssibility. How long were the two touching or did it get fused there?

I'm trying to understand how it could be a fusible link. It sounds like he grounded the positive terminal on the battery with a wrench. Therefore the circuit was the wrench (no fuse) straight to ground. I could see if he grounded the line with the fusible link somewhere down the line after the fusible link then it was cause a surge in the fusible link and likely blow. Also, the fusbile link is a slow burn as compared to a fast acting fuse. Essentially, how can the fusible link blow if it isn't part of the circuit that he created with the wrench?

tunedin302 said:
I'm trying to understand how it could be a fusible link. It sounds like he grounded the positive terminal on the battery with a wrench. Therefore the circuit was the wrench (no fuse) straight to ground. I could see if he grounded the line with the fusible link somewhere down the line after the fusible link then it was cause a surge in the fusible link and likely blow. Also, the fusbile link is a slow burn as compared to a fast acting fuse. Essentially, how can the fusible link blow if it isn't part of the circuit that he created with the wrench?

thats correct! no fuse...I went from positive terminal to negative terminal through the wrench.

that's why when you hook-up any acessories directly to the battery (i.e. stereo, electric fans, etc...) you put the fuse as close to the battery as possible. Because anything between the battery and the fuse is not protected.

Say you put the fuse for your stereo in the trunk, by the amp. If your power wire gets a cut somewhere around the firewall, then you have a major short & the fuse will never blow because the circuit is completed before the fuse.

Thanks for all the responces guys, all of you are alot of help! I just got home from work and i will be going out to the garage and looking at all the suggestions you made. Hopefully i will have a postive update later!

I always thought batteries exploded or burst if you hook the terminals together (and run away). Do they not? I've never seen reason to experiment with this hypothesis but the insane current would heat that puppy up in a jiffy, I know that much.