HOLY CRAP Changed From 3.73 to 4.10's

• Sponsors (?)

Think of it this way... You get the 3.73s for the same price as you could've gotten the 4.10s. You're getting 1 mpg or so better gas mileage with those 3.73s, but your car doesn't pull as hard. Are you gonna be happy?

I had a set of 3.73s waiting to be installed (based on friends' thoughts, articles I read, etc.), and then I joined StangNet. I do not race my car at a track (yet), and hearing testimonials from other StangNet members who had 4.10s on DDs swayed me to the 4.10s. Not a day goes by that I regret it! If anything else, it makes me stay close to the speed limit, so now I don't have to worry about getting a ticket on the freeway.

In the end you have to do what you think is right, but if getting 4.10s was wrong, don't you think SOMEONE on this site would've said so by now?

I know...I know...and I was anticipating these replies. Maybe I just subconciously decided and I need to hear all of this to push me towards the 4.10s

Think of it this way... You get the 3.73s for the same price as you could've gotten the 4.10s. You're getting 1 mpg or so better gas mileage with those 3.73s, but your car doesn't pull as hard. Are you gonna be happy?

I had a set of 3.73s waiting to be installed (based on friends' thoughts, articles I read, etc.), and then I joined StangNet. I do not race my car at a track (yet), and hearing testimonials from other StangNet members who had 4.10s on DDs swayed me to the 4.10s. Not a day goes by that I regret it! If anything else, it makes me stay close to the speed limit, so now I don't have to worry about getting a ticket on the freeway.

In the end you have to do what you think is right, but if getting 4.10s was wrong, don't you think SOMEONE on this site would've said so by now?

Dustang50 - you make a great point as do others.

Also, I see people changing from 3.73s to 4.10s all the time, but never the other way around. Everyone with 4.10s stands buy them and those that recomend 3.73s apear to have never driven 4.10s, though I may be wrong.

Seriously though, I usually find myself between 80-90 constantly on the highway, not too often below 75mph. I'll probably be tacking well over 3000.

i think i wanna get new gears for the stang, but i dont kno how low. i never get on the highway live 5 minutes from school and other than that its just drivin around town. never really high speeds for a long time where rpm's would be annoying. maybe 4.10's? or lower cuz i really want it to accelerate fast around town on back roads and such.

all this is good but and its nice to feel it pull harder but does it improve the 1/4 mile time over the 3.73? thats where the test will be. everyone knows with slicks on it will improve it but what about with just normal tires daily driving stop light to stop light or "street racing from a dig". i mean will it really help u win a race or just make your car feel better? every car i have been in with 4.10's have traction issues on normal tires. who cares about the gas milage and all that crap. does it really and truely help your 1/4 mile times over the 3.73?

i wish one of these magizines would just test gear changes and the effects of it.

^^^thats gonna be where your driving comes into play. If you can launch with 4.10s and pull a decent 60', then you should be able to take a 3.73 equipped car with similar mods. However, if you cant get that launch down you're just gonna spin more than he will if he can drive at all. You may be able to catch up, you may not. the 4.10s will pull a bit harder, but it may not be enough to make up what you lose at the line if you dont pull a better 60' than the 3.73 guy.

My car has 3.73s and I bought it used. They were in there when I got it. I have 4.10s waiting to be insatlled. The guy who is putting them in for me said that I wouldn't really notice it. But he's not a mustang guy either. After reading the other post here I am more excited. Can't wait to change them

I had 3.73 gears with the t-45, but recently changed to a TKO 500. Now with this combination it runs like it has 4.10. At 80 its at 2800-3000 rpms. Anyone else notice this with the tko? Anyways it feels great and pulls harder. Makes me love the 3.73 even more.

Quick question though. I've heard that if you get 4.10's, running anyone at highway speeds becomes pretty much useless as the 4.10's fall flat on their face past about 90-100. For a highway run, would 3.73's be better?

Also, for those who really can't decide...Why not just get the 3.90's?

HoustonGT said:
Quick question though. I've heard that if you get 4.10's, running anyone at highway speeds becomes pretty much useless as the 4.10's fall flat on their face past about 90-100. For a highway run, would 3.73's be better?

Also, for those who really can't decide...Why not just get the 3.90's?

Ive had mine up to 110-112 from a 70mph run. And it got there quick also.
Damn H-Town I45 north-bound road rage...:D