How do I do nitrous?

ThatOneFastKid

Dec 22, 2005
I have an 06 GT and am in need for more power. I cant afford a supercharger so i was thinking nitrous. I can get the Zex kit for about $550 and I want to know what else I need to buy to have it done correctly. I know I need a tune, and I have the SCT Xcal 2. So do I just need to take it to a tuner shop and have them do it? How much will that cost me? And is there anything else I need?

• Sponsors (?)

If you are not good with wiring, I would try to find a friend who is able to wire it up for you. Mounting everything where you want it should be no problem if you take your time and think things through. I have the ZEX kit as well, and had it tuned by a good tuner with my Xcal2.

If you are not good with wiring, I would try to find a friend who is able to wire it up for you. Mounting everything where you want it should be no problem if you take your time and think things through. I have the ZEX kit as well, and had it tuned by a good tuner with my Xcal2.

How much did it cost you for the tune?

I am not to to sure but I am going with this same kit with brenspeed and they are including the tune in the price but I dont know if that's because I have bought from them before or if thats how they do it.

Brenspeed will take care of your tunng needs. If i remember correctly, anything less than 125 shot is free with the purchase of the kit. dont quote me on that though.

Nitrous is not that hard really. I had a nitrous express kit on my mitsu 3000gt. I did the whole install myself in about 9 hours(wiring; fuel splice for the wet shot; fuel, nitrous and purge solenoid mounting;interior mounting for switches, bottle, brackets, blow thru pipe, and bottle heater) . if i did it again it would take 5. From what i hear the Zex kits are more straightforward and easier to install than most other kits.

A 75 shot is what i ran on the 3kgt. it was the max i dared on a 6 cylinder with stock internals. you should be safe up to 125 shot with a good tune. i would reccomend not going more than that. plus, its more than plenty. use higher than 93 octane as well just to be safe. I ran 104 sunoco in my 3kgt to prevent any possibilty of f-ing something up. yes, it can be overkill with 104 gas, but better safe than sorry.

The zex kits come with a WOT (Wide Open Throttle) switch that will activate the solenoids once the system is turned on. My system also worked this way. It is best this way so that you will be in high rpms at WOT. never spray under 1/2 the engines rev limiter (3000) and you should be just fine.

Two things that are "necessary" are a bottle heater and a nitrous pressure gauge. Your system will run like crap at 1/2 tank without them because it will not run at 1000psi like it should. trust me, ive been there. it made a difference of .3 seconds of et and 4 mph by the end of the night not having them, and I'm sure it will make the car run super rich.

On the nstall, like said before, take your time and do it right. find i cool place for the switch. I suggest the cigarette lighter in the center of the dash. nice convenient spot.

Good luck and happy spraying!!:hail2:

check this out...

brenspeed.com said:
The system is adjustable from 75 to 175 HP. To determine what level of power is best for you we suggest calling us but it is common to run 75 HP on your stock tune with no issues. We have ran the 75 HP system on our most radical naturally aspirated tune with no ill effects. A good rule of thumb is to remove 1 degree of timing for every 25 HP but that is a safety net. Zex says you do not need to do any modifications to timing at the 75 HP level. We have found that some cars at the 100 HP level and all of them at the 125 HP level will melt the spark plugs with a safe tune. We suggest using a colder spark plug and removing timing at anything over 75 HP.

Is the bottle warmer necessary? I live in Miami and its always hot so I figured I could skip out on this part. :shrug: What do you think?

If you ask me, yes. When i ran in 85 degree temperature and 1/2 tank of nitrous i was getting about 650 psi. say its is 110 degrees, you still wont get close 1000psi like the system should run. But, if you can maintain between 900 and 1100 psi all the time then skip it. Alo the pressure drop significntly afte spraying a system for 12 seconds. you dump almost 2lbs of n20 out at 75shot in one run in the 1/4.

Are you racing at the track? If you are then you'll need a bottle heater for sure. But remember that it takes a bottle heater a while to warm a bottle, alternately, you might want to check ebay or something and find a second bottle for track day. The bottle cools every time you spray so it kind of depends on how you use the system. If you're just using it on the street and you'll only be using the system once at a time then you could probably get away without the heater but then you'll want a remote bottle opener. You can't be running back to the trunk at every stop light encounter. I run a 75 horse shot with no timing retard, 91 octane (I can't get 93 in OK {DAMN OKIES!}), and the stock plugs. From a roll it puts me pretty much dead even with a friends '04 ZO6 and from a dead stop, it's whoever gets traction first. They don't call it giggle gas for nothin'. I went without the bottle opener because if I could use the juice any time I felt like it, I'd be filling bottles 4 times a day.