How far can I go with warranty in tact??

I was just wondering what the most I could do to my GT performance-wise with things like exhaust and such while maintaining warranty. I haven't really found anything on the net, and I would just like to know what your experiences/thoughts were. I have the extended 7 yr./70k mi warranty, so it won't be over any time soon. Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

luther1228 said:
...depends on the dealership...

I'll 2nd that. Each dealership operates differently, so some might be cool with moderate modifications such as: a midpipe, catback, shifter, CAI, etc, while other service departments might make a big stink about the slightest mods, such as a drop in K&N air filter...
It's probably a good idea to talk to your service advisor & others in the area who have had to rely on the dealership for warranty repairs/work. They will be able to tell you what is acceptable & what is not... :cheers:

luther1228 said:
depends on the dealership. i had 6000 miles when my first transmission went. all i had was exhaust and a cai. the dealer stated that i lost my drivetrain warranty due to aftermarket accessories.

Isn't there a law where they can't a void a warranty unless a aftermarket part is directly responisble for another part's failure. The dealer you work with is a piece of crap. I'm assuming you have a catback and a cold air intake without swapping the MAF. i can't see how they could possibly void a warranty from that! it's bs.

JM

Not as bad as trying to deny a warranty over a drop in filter. Any direct replacement part (ie drop in air filter, oil as long as it's the same weight I believe) cannot void a warranty.

Unfortunatly I learned today that the dealer in my town can be bad about something as small as a CAI, luckily I always keep all stock parts and there's a place about 20 miles away that's much cooler about mods :D

LordJish said:
Isn't there a law where they can't a void a warranty unless a aftermarket part is directly responisble for another part's failure. The dealer you work with is a piece of crap. I'm assuming you have a catback and a cold air intake without swapping the MAF. i can't see how they could possibly void a warranty from that! it's bs.

JM

Yes, there is a law that states that a dealer/manuacturer must prove that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The problem is most people don't know about this and dealers prey on peoples lack of knowledge. :notnice:

i lucked out with my dealer.. the service tech i go to owns a 5.0 (he didnt tell me the year) and he loves when i come back with little goodies (digi tach w/shiftlight, suspension, magnapacks).

hes the man to make the decision on the warranty and he hasnt refused any warranty work yet!

it definitely depends on the dealer.

neoclasiccl said:
Yep dealers discretion but if you toast a motor the ford reps come out and then there will be hell to pay.

That is absolutely NOT dealer's discretion. The dealer's that refuse to cover things need to be reported to Ford. They are contracted representatives of Ford and must meet their obligations.

I'm not saying it isn't easier to work with a more mod-friendly dealer, just don't let any dealer make up the rules as they go along...

Blue1

if you have purchased the warranty from Ford, which means the warranty work can be done anywhere than the warranty cannot be voided by aftermarket unless the problems is caused by the product.

if the warranty is from the individual dealer a.k.a.-"inhouse" warranty, then they can pretty much tell you your warranty is void for getting an oilchange somewhere other than there. it's bull'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me', but trust me, that's how it is.

based on "the part caused failure" stuff, they could void the warranty on just about any part. Got a cat-back? They could argue that it caused increased power and made the transmission fail. It may not hold up if you want to push it but it'll cause a headache. Better just to ask around and see who will be cool and not try to give you hell for mods.

my dealer is standing behind me even with my blower and extended 5 yr 75K mile warranty , they said hell ill probably replace everything just about that will break because they know im particular about my car , so they said if the tranny or something took a crap and as long as i had the air fuel situation under control which is in the 11.2 area they said they would cover the engine too .

i purchased a 100k extended warrenty and man i had top keep all the stock parts for my car so when it goes in for work i have to swap everything back...that sucks...and there is something that says that they can not void your warenty unless the part directly reflects the parts that have to be fixed...Like the 2nd time my tranny went out i left my O/R X on and they said in order for it to get covered under warrenty i had to put the stock one on..More hp = trans breaking so that could of voided my warrenty but i fixed it so i got another new trans

2002BLGT said:
my dealer is standing behind me even with my blower and extended 5 yr 75K mile warranty , they said hell ill probably replace everything just about that will break because they know im particular about my car , so they said if the tranny or something took a crap and as long as i had the air fuel situation under control which is in the 11.2 area they said they would cover the engine too .

I'm taking my car to your dealer :spot: