How happy is everyone with their CAI's?

I just had a Bullitt CAI with a Predator tune installed today. The car only ended up picking up 10 RWHP, but the car feels a lot stronger.

I was just wondering what the average HP gains people are seeing with CAI/tune combos? If you've got a CAI, share your story. How much HP did you pick up and how happy are you with your set up?

Bullitt.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I have the JLT II with a dyno tune. I believe my car made 271 stock and 294 after the CAI on a Mustang dyno. But there was point under the peak where it picked up 41 HP. I had it on Dynojet and with no other changes, it made 306 HP.

My guess is that you are running what is called a canned tune. These come with the tuner when you buy from a retailer like American Muscle, Moss Mustang, etc... What you need is a custom tune file from a reputable tuner like Bamachips, Brenspeed, or VMP Tuning. You will see a big power increase, as well as increased throttle response and better gas mileage.

Since you have the Bullitt intake, I'd suggest Bamachips. Doug from Bamachips knows that intake inside and out. When it came out, he did very extensive testing with it.

My guess is that you are running what is called a canned tune. These come with the tuner when you buy from a retailer like American Muscle, Moss Mustang, etc... What you need is a custom tune file from a reputable tuner like Bamachips, Brenspeed, or VMP Tuning. You will see a big power increase, as well as increased throttle response and better gas mileage.

Since you have the Bullitt intake, I'd suggest Bamachips. Doug from Bamachips knows that intake inside and out. When it came out, he did very extensive testing with it.

The guys that installed the CAI and did the dyno run said that the tune was a Steeda tune that they had done some tweeks to.

Like I said, I was a bit disappointed in the number, but the car feels great. I raced a Charger yesterday and pulled away from him easily.

You stated the intake only picked up 10HP over stock. So did you dyno the car when it was stock?

They may have tweaked the tune, but I guarantee the $50 you spend on a tune from Bamachips will be about the best $50 you've ever spent.

You stated the intake only picked up 10HP over stock. So did you dyno the car when it was stock?

They may have tweaked the tune, but I guarantee the $50 you spend on a tune from Bamachips will be about the best $50 you've ever spent.

Yeah, they dyno'd the car stock. It made 273HP. Then they dyno'd it again after the CAI and it made 283.

Only $50????

I just might have to check them out.

+1 on the BamaChips tune. Fortunately for you, Doug writes tunes for both the SCT & Diablo tuners, so I would go that route. His tunes are great.

It the Bullit CAI the same as the Ford Racing and Steeda CAI's? I'm digging the airbox that your CAI has, but I think my MAF housing looks bigger than the intake in that pic.

Sorry I can't provide you with dyno numbers, but I know for a fact that my car picked up more than 10rwhp from the CAI/tune combo just from the feel of it. I also had a canned Steeda tune at first. The tune was not bad compared to some canned tunes that come on tuners, but the tune from BamaChips is significantly better.

Sorry I can't provide you with dyno numbers, but I know for a fact that my car picked up more than 10rwhp from the CAI/tune combo just from the feel of it. .

Too bad you don't have dyno numbers. If I was going by feel, I would swear that my car picked up more than 10HP too. It feels significantly faster. But your sig also says 93 octane tune. Best we can do here in Cali is 91.

I have the JLT II with a dyno tune. I believe my car made 271 stock and 294 after the CAI on a Mustang dyno. But there was point under the peak where it picked up 41 HP. I had it on Dynojet and with no other changes, it made 306 HP.

When your JLT II was on my '07 GT, it was good for 3 mph improvement in trap speed in the 1/4 mile, which is about 25-30 rwhp, and that was with the canned 93 octane tune in my DiabloSport tuner. I was more than satisfied with those results!

Of course, I'm even happier with my current "CAI." ;)

But your sig also says 93 octane tune. Best we can do here in Cali is 91.

According to Doug (Bamachips) there is normally 1-2 HP increase per octane grade. With all the same mods to my car running a 87 tune from Doug, my car put down 280 RWHP. With his 93 race tune, my car put down 287 RWHP. Granted they were on two different days/dynos and the weather was much different. The 87 pull was in the middle of hot and humid July and the 93 pull was in chilly low humidity October. For me, the biggest difference was the much improved throttle response and better midrange power of the 93 tune.

I just found the thread where Doug tested out the Bullitt intake. I guess he only got 11RWHP out of it and 20RWTQ for max gains. The C&L Racer, for instance, saw 8 more HP and 3 more ft/lbs torque (7 ft lbs over 5000rpms). So I guess it's a restriction of the intake.

The Bullitt intake allows 883CFMs of airflow. The C&L Racer is about 1000CFMs.

Basically, it's a cool looking intake, but you sacrifice a bit of performance for it. That said, you'll still be happier with a Bamachips tune. He changes up a lot more than just the AFR. The car drives totally different after one of his tunes.

I just found the thread where Doug tested out the Bullitt intake. I guess he only got 11RWHP out of it and 20RWTQ for max gains. The C&L Racer, for instance, saw 8 more HP and 3 more ft/lbs torque (7 ft lbs over 5000rpms). So I guess it's a restriction of the intake.

The Bullitt intake allows 883CFMs of airflow. The C&L Racer is about 1000CFMs.

Basically, it's a cool looking intake, but you sacrifice a bit of performance for it. That said, you'll still be happier with a Bamachips tune. He changes up a lot more than just the AFR. The car drives totally different after one of his tunes.

Yeah, I went with the Bullitt intake because I didn't want to hassle with swapping out the intake when smog time rolled around.

By the way, the guy's also tried slappin a K&N filter to see if it was any better than the Ford paper one. It wasn't.

Sorry to highjack the thread but a quick question. I'm looking for a deeper exhaust tone but don't plan changing the midpipe, tune, or get a CAI/tune package. I'm assuming the stock intake's biggest restriction is the rectanglular airbox and the MAF. Will a smoother tube give me a CEL or make my engine run lean/rich? Is there a way I can keep my factory airbox and MAF and just replace the intake tube? If so who sells it?

The stock airbox flow restriction is the size of the MAF housing. Changing the tube will do little to nothing. But if you were to move to a smoother tube, it shouldn't cause any issues... I don't know that it will do anything, however.