How heavy duty of an impact wrench?

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
I was going to go look at some impact wrenches today, as well as a mechanics tool set [craftsman] and I was wondering what ft-lb torque you suggest for working on my Mustang. I'm just doing exhaust, suspension, etc. Nothing too heavy duty. Is 380ft.LBS enough?

• Sponsors (?)

That is plenty for your car. Just don't use it to tighten down your lugnuts. That much torque can do some major damage to aluminum rims. And be careful with it in general when tightening bolts\nuts.
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can pick one up there with plenty of power for a car for super cheap.

Tony01GT said:
I'm a mechanic, and 380ftlbs is ok for a 1/2 drive impact, but craftsman sucks. For impacts go Ingersoll Ran, snap-on, or Matco
That is great advice for another professional mechanic. Probably too pricey for a home mechanic though...

Oh and another thing, Craftsman does not suck.

My air impact wrench is only 260ft-lbs and is a Campbell Hausfeld. I'm guessing this is a really sucky brand as I got it for $35 at the local hardware store. I hooked it up when I got home...it spins. Doesn't seem to torque very high. I guess I better try it out pretty soon. It's max is 260ft-lbs and 90psi.

Here's a link if anyone wants to critique it for me (thanks): http://www.acehardware.com/product/...=impact&searchId=5387784674&parentPage=search

Tony01GT said:
I'm a mechanic, and 380ftlbs is ok for a 1/2 drive impact, but craftsman sucks. For impacts go Ingersoll Ran, snap-on, or Matco
im a mechanic in training and i love craftsman! all my hand tools are craftsmen. lifetime warranty and tools are made in the USA, what else could you want?

i work on semis all day and craftsman does not cut it. i'm sure it is fine for cars and backyard mechanics but for what i do, i dont care if it has a warranty if it breaks all the time so i need snap-on etc because of their strength etc. plus they are a better all around tool.

DerekStangGT said:
im a mechanic in training and i love craftsman! all my hand tools are craftsmen. lifetime warranty and tools are made in the USA, what else could you want?
once i see a craftsman truck pull up to my work than i will consider using them for a work toolset. thats the great thing about Snap-On, MAC, Matco, is that if you do break something, the tool guy comes to YOU. you dont have to stop what you are doing, drive to sears, bitch at the person because they want receipts now. and then go back to what you were doing.
Craftsman are execellent tools, but they suck for every day. i despise their ratchets. they just dont feel right in my hand. for impact gun Ingersol Rand are the best. i was looking at getting a MATCO gun that has 1000ft-lb of torque in reverse, but is whisper quiet.

topless98gt said:
My air impact wrench is only 260ft-lbs and is a Campbell Hausfeld. I'm guessing this is a really sucky brand as I got it for $35 at the local hardware store. I hooked it up when I got home...it spins. Doesn't seem to torque very high. I guess I better try it out pretty soon. It's max is 260ft-lbs and 90psi.

Here's a link if anyone wants to critique it for me (thanks): http://www.acehardware.com/product/...=impact&searchId=5387784674&parentPage=search

Yea, I have one of those. It's marginal at best. It won't break loose tight lug nuts so IMO it's not heavy enough. It's ok on light stuff but not up to suspension work. I bought a better gun for that.