How much hp is too much?

but wolfe and fiscus are in the low 180's in the 1/8 right now. lynch is just over a 190 in the 1/8

also the power management comes down a lot to the davis traction control set up they are running these days also

Dyllard/Berry trapped 189mph 2 weeks ago on the drag radial, when they get the 60 right, they will be flying.

Forgot to mention the traction control too, but 4000hp on that small of a tire is insane, traction control or not

• Sponsors (?)

For a street car....I think 400-500 is perfect IF it's reliable. For a race car....the more power I can make the better....as long as I can get down the track at least a few times, or to finish the weekend. I know a few guys with 800hp turbo cars but all of them dial down the boost on the street and it honestly makes for a more enjoyable drive. As usual...JMO

Something that's worth mentioning, for a street car, is where you live and where you drive. Honestly, my measly stock headed '86 makes "too much" power for a lot of the low-speed heavy-traffic city roads I drive on, but "not enough" when I find myself on a back country road or highway.

Dyllard/Berry trapped 189mph 2 weeks ago on the drag radial, when they get the 60 right, they will be flying.

Forgot to mention the traction control too, but 4000hp on that small of a tire is insane, traction control or not

damn i must have missed that ****...

Much more than 500rwhp is no fun.
1000rwhp is an excercise in vanity, that's about it.
I could give a handful of reasons why.

I have to admit, you and Fastdriver's posts on this subject changed my mind on what I wanted to do. I was about to order a 363 Dart for my 91, but then realized that in the last three years, I've been to the track once with the car. I DD it, and it hardly ever sees the high side of 3K. So I saved the money and bought a stock blocked 347. Going to try and shoot for 425 at the flywheel instead.

So are you saying my 1000hp car isn't/won't be/can't be faster than your 500hp car?

Man i usually agree with most of your posts but that makes no sense. EFI has come a long way, you can make a totally streetable 1000hp car that will drive like a kitten and be perfectly dependable. Look how many blown LSX guys are doing it everyday. If it won't hook, it needs suspension work and less lead foot. If you're getting beat by guys with half the power you have, then you're doing something wrong. I just don't understand how less is more when it comes to horsepower?

Maybe 1000hp is to much for the streets, but it not being fun is another story. There is nothing wrong with 700hp, if the car is setup for it. My buddys vortech ysi coupe is deadly consistent on the streets and its a straight budget car not even cowl hood on it. The whole car was probably built for less than $12,000 and it blows the doors off of a $80,000 c6 zo6. You should see the look on these yuppys faces when this primer black coupe screams past them. :rlaugh:

Haha weird, I thought your name was Scott Seater or something like that. You should ask a mod to get your screenname changed to include a space so it makes more sense. "SS Eater" is much more clear. :nice:

What's funny to me is I've seen a guy on here that goes by dussbuster (think that's how he spells it) and people call him "dustbuster" I just assumed it meant du ss buster. maybe I'm wrong, but It sounded that way to me!:shrug:

im not going to get into all the rest but a true outlaw car makes just shy of 4000hp. a super street outlaw car makes between 1500-2000

must have looked at a different series. sorry for the misinformation. There were a few outlaw cars listing 1300-1500 at the car show i was at last weekend. Didnt mean to generalize all of the series into one group.

Maybe 1000hp is to much for the streets, but it not being fun is another story. There is nothing wrong with 700hp, if the car is setup for it. My buddys vortech ysi coupe is deadly consistent on the streets and its a straight budget car not even cowl hood on it. The whole car was probably built for less than $12,000 and it blows the doors off of a $80,000 c6 zo6. You should see the look on these yuppys faces when this primer black coupe screams past them. :rlaugh:

Ya, but that's a one trick wonder.
Try racing a zo6 (which is a road race car) on a road track.
Some of the best cars in the world (any price range) lose to the zo6.

Anyone can build a car that does one thing good, it's building a car that does multiple well that's hard.

I assure you, the guy in the zo6 isn't bothered losing to a primered mustang in a straight line. Runs mid 11's on regular tires and outruns lambo's, ferrari's and porches on a road track. That's enough to satisfy most.

SS, i'm not saying the 1000hp car won't win, but i bet you i sure as hell have more fun.
500 is dangerous enough in a car this light with no driving aids, double that is nuts.

It's almost impossible to build a 1000hp car that's good on the track and the street. You have to chose one, since the chassis must be basically equivalent to a race car for it to be stable.
Ever see what happens when you put down that much power in a street car? At about the 1000 ft mark, the tires spin and you hit the wall.

Know what it's like to maintain 1000hp? One little thing goes wrong, you could be $1000's in repairs.

I suggested nothing about an all out victory, if that is what matters most, build yourself a car you can't drive to do anything other than race from a roll in a straight line.

The "more the merrier" theory does not apply to street cars.
Just ask the guys that loose a race because they have to back out of it to keep the car straight. Power or not, you are unlikely to be able to get back into the power quick enough to catch up.

Some of the things that happen with 1000hp.
YouTube - 1000hp Viper Venom spins out at 150mph.
The viper would be similar to a fox, motortrend or one of them monitored wheels spin with special devices and they said the venon basically spun the tires all the way to like 180.
YouTube - twin turbo ford gt at the track