How much install time for new h\c\i?

johnny_munyak

Aug 7, 2008
Just wondering what the average installation times are for doing a head/cam/intake swap?

Had a relative (journeyman tech of 25 yrs) lined up to do the install, but he is so busy that I'm not sure it will get done until I park it for winter!

So, I'm looking elsewhere and wanted to ballpark some labour costs.......it would MUCH cheaper to wait and let him do it, but....

I WANT TO USE MY PARTS!! LOL...

• Sponsors (?)

If you are doing it yourself, and this is your first time, I would leave a good day and a half at least. It's a lot of work. If you have done it a bunch of times, it still takes about 6 hours.

Kurt

I bet you'll get charged two days labor to do this.

Say the mechanic charges 75 bucks an hour.

75 x 16 = 1200 bucks. It won't take this long, but I suppose the book would say something like that. You can do it yourself in two full days IF you have all the tools on hand.

Adam

I have decent mechanical skills and I had a buddy of mine with me who builds race cars and it took us about 8 hours (it took a little longer then he usually does because he was showing me how to do it). One thing I would do differently is look up the sizes of the nuts and bolts and have all those wrench and socket sizes lined up before hand. We spent a good amount of time going back and forth looking for socket sizes which we couldn't find at first.

I always see the glass as being ... half full :nice:
however
One must look at things ... realistically :)

For one who has little experience ... Lots of stuff can go wrong here :Word:

Snapped bolts :(
Not knowing to use sealant on lower head bolts :(
Not knowing to run the lower intake bolts many times for correct tightness :(
and there are many others :crazy:

Again ... not trying to discourage anyone here :nono:

After all ... Doing stuff is how one learns :nice:

I can't stress enough how much I agree with others about a couple of days
to do a major project such as this one

Sure ... If one has done this before
and
Nothing unexpected rears it's ugly head :rlaugh:

One could whip this out in much, much sooner time :)

Here is the deal with a first timer :D

Allow yourself enough time to enjoy the experience :banana:
and
If possible ... a more experienced gear head bud with you
Well ... That can help to put your mind at ease ;)

Go for it ... You can do it ... Just be as prepared as you can be :spot:

Grady

It will take you half day for you take everything out and install new parts. And if there is any cleaning and painting involved i say full day.

It's quite bit of work doing the heads...H/C/I when you are supplying your own parts...

It should be like $700... isn't that what everyone charges?

I maintain that unless you are doing it in a garage and have all the tools necessary, it will take you at least two days excepting, if you are a mechanic.

Something will always break. You will strip something. Vacuum hoses will crack. You won't have enough plugs for the bottom of the intake. You don't have plumbers tape. You don't have grease. You forgot cam lube. Your girl gets pissed. Your buddy is late. You have to learn how to degree a camshaft. You go to prime the engine but your drill is out of juice so you have to let it charge. Its hot out. You run out of beer and have to get more. Your jack takes a dump on you. ETC.

Adam

I just did this and it took me about 3 days working about 3-4 hrs a day taking my time. The things that take up most of your time is tool organization. try to keep your toolbox as close as possible not having to walk back and forth to your toolbox. Remember to pick up all your gaskets, fluids, plugs, wires, "special tools" (pulley puller, balancer puller..) ahead of time.