how much is a boss 302 cobra worth?

blueskaterboy

Feb 29, 2004
so i found out the car im looking at is a boss 302 but he blew the engine so he put a 6 cylinder in it... the rest of the car is built for drag racing. im going to get the VIN, where is the site i can check it?

and how much is it really worth with a 6 cylinder, or if swap it out for a v8?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

blueskaterboy said:
so i found out the car im looking at is a boss 302 but he blew the engine so he put a 6 cylinder in it... the rest of the car is built for drag racing. im going to get the VIN, where is the site i can check it?

thanks

Sorry, but there is no such animal as a Boss 302 Cobra!

blueskaterboy said:

thanks

You look at enough mustangs, you think you hear em all, then a new one comes along...a Boss 302 Cobra I6 eh ;) :bs:

Does it have the extremely rare 4 lug drag setup that was being factory tested for the future box bodies?

well it has cobra heads and it says 302 on the side and it looks like it was built for dragracing - huge tires, rollcage, stripped interior...

either way, it is quite a beauitful car.

obviously i dont know much.

How do the valve covers say "Cobra" if it's an inline 6?? Is it just one valve cover that says "Cobra?" Regardless, that's a common engine dress-up kit...probably doesn't mean anything.
I don't think anyone was busting on the Newb, rather on the likelihood that the seller is feeding him BS.

Let's pretend....

It is a BOSS 302, with a non-matching engine (cobra six at that). Sounds like it was gutted for the strip. So all of the road racing stuff that made the BOSS cars great, might be gone.

I would be very careful. IMO, it is not a BOSS 302 anymore. It is just a mustang with a six-banger.

You can do a search at classiccartrader.com and see what other gutted BOSS 302s are going for.

You can post the VIN here and Im sure someone will be able to decode it for you.

I doubt that it was a boss car...maybe it is though. Something is fishy about an owner turning a boss car into a drag racer...blowing the engine and replacing it with a 6. Why on earth would someone do that????

You really need to get a VIN from the car. Id look the passenger inner fender (where the fender bolts to under the hood) I think a VIN is usually stamped there. There should be one on the door jam too, but lots of times doors are swapped out.

c'mon we all gotta start somewhere!

An I6 would only have one head (a v6 would have 2 heads) , and as far as I know, there's no cobra version. I could see putting a standard 302 in as a replacement for a blown Boss motor, but an i6? Strange, but not impossible. Post a vin and someone can decode it for you, it will tell you if it's a true boss or not. Otherwise, what do you want out of the car? Does it matter if it's a boss or not? Do you want a 6 or an 8? One easy way to tell right off-is it a coupe or a fastback? I've seen boss graphics on a vert and a coupe before...Also, what year is it?

BOSS 302

Just in case you have never seen one, here is a pic of my 70 BOSS 302. By the way the fifth digit in the vin code will have the letter "G" for a BOSS 302.

"
attachment.php
"

blueskaterboy,

What year is the car?

Just speculating here but, it sounds like it had a small block with a cobra dress up kit. It seems everyone that sees a 302 emblem (BTW, Boss 302s didn't have emblems, they had decals) thinks all 302s are Bosses or someone is trying to pass off a run-of-the-mill 302 as a Boss to the unsuspecting. The Boss 302s had 351 Cleveland type heads. Some have retrofitted cleveland heads on 302s and 351Ws so block and head numbers are very important. Boss 302 Mustangs were only available with the sportsroof (fastback) and in 69 & 70. Some Boss 302 engines did make it in some 69 & 70 Cougars, mostly Eliminators but I think a few XR7s too. Be careful, do some research before you buy and don't let someone try to tell you it's some special one off model from the factory.

http://www.boss302.com/