How TiVCT works

• Sponsors (?)

OK boys lets not get to excited. :)

YSUsteven, I am sure it will be imperrative for there to always be good clean oil pumping and the correct recommended grade. I can see sludge build up causen some problems but atleast the cams are on top and easier to access.

The whole thing reeks of failure. That's a lot of o-rings moving at high speed. I wonder how long they will last before you start getting oil blow-by and loose function? 50k? 75K? On the other side you have oil residue build up that could seize up the whole thing. No matter how clean you keep the oil there will still be some coating. Not to mention the solenoids. How often will these need replaced?
Built in fail, job security for Ford parts and service department.

Thanks Fang for posting this, I had been wondering about what this new system was.

BMWs have been using a system that uses engine oil to adjust the cam timing for some time now, and they only change the oil every 15k-18k miles! With folks regularly running BMWs over 150k miles, I've got to imagine this setup should also be able to work until something else on the engine breaks first.

Interesting video, but a few comments:

One poster mentioned about a large number of O-rings - I don't see so. The plunger looks like a finely machined control valve, like what an automatic tranmission uses to for the gear selection. You move the car into drive, and that moves a control valve that looks similar to this, which puts oil pressure into certain passages. This control valve system has proven very reliable for decades already.

The main mod of failure that I can see is the solenoid which controls the control valve burning out, which shouldn't be a horribly expensive or difficult fix.

Interesting video, but a few comments:

One poster mentioned about a large number of O-rings - I don't see so. The plunger looks like a finely machined control valve, like what an automatic tranmission uses to for the gear selection. You move the car into drive, and that moves a control valve that looks similar to this, which puts oil pressure into certain passages. This control valve system has proven very reliable for decades already.

The main mod of failure that I can see is the solenoid which controls the control valve burning out, which shouldn't be a horribly expensive or difficult fix.

Yes I was`thinking the same as tranny tech too, and no orings that I see either :)

BMWs have been using a system that uses engine oil to adjust the cam timing for some time now, and they only change the oil every 15k-18k miles! With folks regularly running BMWs over 150k miles, I've got to imagine this setup should also be able to work until something else on the engine breaks first.

Ford has been using this type of system for a a long time time now the 4.6 3v motor uses engine oil pressure to change cam timing. they have also done this on other engines..

the 3.5 liter v6 uses a similar setup.

My bad, after closer look you are correct about the o-rings. They are only on the main body, not on the control valve. There are 4 "wiper" seals on the blades of the rotor wings though. I retract my previous statement. Perhaps this system will work, but I have to ask "why".
What are the benefits of all this ? How much HP increase does this give ? Does this increase mpg ?