how to get starter out of 96gt (4r70w)

noxious_mustang

Oct 6, 2004
im having trouble getting the starter out of my 96, i got the bottom bolts loose, but where the heck is the top bolt? I have all the wiring loose and everything....how many bolts are there? and how do you get it out once youve got it completely losened? anyone got any tricks? it does have to come out to change the tranny right....man i need a how-to article on this whole tranny swap! :notnice: pita!

• Sponsors (?)

I typically use the following 1/4 inch drive stuff:

ratchet
6" extension
10 mm snap-on mid well socket

I've heard of others using a 3 foot extension and coming from in front of the k-member to get the top one out. Hey, if my wife can swap a starter on a 'stang, then so can you . . .

:rlaugh: I posted a similar thread about a year ago. That top bolt was a PITA :bang: Like the other guys stated, you are definitely going to need some extensions and a swivel. My girl had a 96GT also. I feel your pain. If you get the swivel, make sure you put some kind of tape on the swivel part to get it a little stiff so that it doesn't flop all around the place. I put some black electrical tape at the swivel part. It allows it to swivel a little bit, but you are definitely going to need it to be a little stiff.
I never put the top bolt back in once I installed a new starter. :shrug: Didn't have any problems. Good Luck Bro. :nice: