how to use harmonic installer?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know, I always whack it on with a hammer, then drive it on the rest of the way with an impact gun. Anyway, There should be a rod that threads into the crankshaft, and then a pressure plate that threads onto that rod. You would hold the rod in place with one wrench, and turn the pressure plate clockwise with another wrench to press the balancer on.

Kurt

I don't know, I always whack it on with a hammer, then drive it on the rest of the way with an impact gun. Anyway, There should be a rod that threads into the crankshaft, and then a pressure plate that threads onto that rod. You would hold the rod in place with one wrench, and turn the pressure plate clockwise with another wrench to press the balancer on.

Kurt

Yea... i rubber mallet it in to place...

Yeah, that should be ok. Do you mean that it slid on with the installer, or did it just slide it right on with your hand? I don't want to ask a stupid quesiton, but are you sure there were woodruff keys in the crank? Those balancers usually take some motivation to get on there.

Kurt

If it just slid on and bolted down to the right torque no problem you probably have the wrong balancer, or missing something?

As for the installer find the right thread from the first row, then you drop the long bolt thru the middle of the bigger one and attach it to there.

The part with the bearing goes between the large nut and balancer.
29zybns.jpg

Yeah, that should be ok. Do you mean that it slid on with the installer, or did it just slide it right on with your hand? I don't want to ask a stupid quesiton, but are you sure there were woodruff keys in the crank? Those balancers usually take some motivation to get on there.

Kurt

that wasnt stupid at all beings, i have no clue what the woodruff keys are? it slid on and then i turn it a little and it felt like it aligned with something then went on further. it seems like its on all the way and i put the belt back on and it seems fine. although i haven't started it yet.

that wasnt stupid at all beings, i have no clue what the woodruff keys are? it slid on and then i turn it a little and it felt like it aligned with something then went on further. it seems like its on all the way and i put the belt back on and it seems fine. although i haven't started it
yet.

The thing that aligned is the woodruff key. There's a raised "key" on the crank, and a cut out section on the balancer....so it can only go on one way.

Im shocked you could "slide" it on....i dont think i've ever heard of a balancer going on that easy.

The thing that aligned is the woodruff key. There's a raised "key" on the crank, and a cut out section on the balancer....so it can only go on one way.

Im shocked you could "slide" it on....i dont think i've ever heard of a balancer going on that easy.

me either. it was crazy. i was told i was going to need to torch it or boil it or hit it or something. but i mean dont get my wrong its a tight fit but still it just pushed on. well im not complaining lol.

thanks for the help everyone.:flag::flag: i guess i didnt need the installer tool after all.:nice:

hmmm ok. the car just sounds a little funny. but i'll check the timing just to be sure.

The only thing that controls the timing is the distributor. The balancer is just what is used to give you a connection between spark and the crankshaft and to read it. It only goes on 1 way. And u cant do anything to the balancer or belt to change the timing.

If its a noise its from something else that was changed.