How to wire amp to speakers(Bridged to mono)??

92Patrol5.0

Founding Member
Sep 20, 1999
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have 2 8" JL's and a 400 profile california amp. I have always had them wired up (Amp R+ and R- to speaker R+ R-)---and the same for the left. With this setup, I assume 1/2 the amp power goes to each speaker. Can I bridge it to mono so both speakers get full power? What do I have to do to wire it this way? Just curious.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I still had the info. in the trunk of my car. The amp is a California 2400 series Bridgeable 2ch. Amplifier--400 watts. It is a 2 ohm stable(stereo) amp. The subs are JLA 8" 4ohm(item #8WO4) I believe they are the JLA 8" subzero if I remember correctly. I bought them in '99. The amp instructions say not to bridge the amp into a 2 ohm load. Am I able to bridge this amp and my 2 subs to get more power to them? It would give me 200wX1 RMS power over the 100wX2 RMS power I have running now. I'm just not exactly sure how to wire it up if I can in fact bridge it.

If you run it bridged you'll have problems with the amp shutting off. You could wire the subs in series and run it bridged,that's what I'd recommend. You won't get more power but you'll make sure that the subs are playing exactly the same. When you run them off the left and right,there's always a very slight difference between the two(normal construction tolerances) and the difference equates to a loss of volume. Some people have noticed a big difference,some not but it's worth trying.

What would make the amp shut off if I run it bridged? Drawing too much power to keep it going? If it's not worth bridging it I won't mess with it. I just thought if I could double the power to both speakers I could get a bit more volume out of it, but it doesn't sound like it'll work for me.

The reason is because when you wire subs in parallel(both +'s and -'s to the bridged output) it drops the impedence too low. The amp actually "see's" a 1ohm per channel load. The amp will shut down due to either overheating or,if it has the better protection circuitry,from over-current. Wiring the subs in series (+ on one sub to - on the other sub)will show a 4 ohm per channel load when running bridged. Like I said,the only reason I would recommend it is to eliminate any possible signal difference between the subs.

So I should hook up L+ on the amp to the L+ on the speaker, then hook up the R- on the amp to the L- on the speaker On the other speaker would be R+ amp to the R+ speaker and L- amp to the R- speaker. Speaker 1 will have L+ and R- and speaker 2 will have R+ and L- ?

this gives a 2 ohm load

2_4ohm_svc_2ohm.gif

this gives a 8 ohm load

2_4ohm_svc_8ohm.gif

This stuff is confusing to me for some reason. If you could explain it to me in a way something like this. Ok, you have a L+ and L- and a R+ and L- on the amp. Then you have each speaker with a + and -. You would hook the L+ amp to (?) on speaker #1. You would hook the L- amp to (?). R+ amp to (?) and R- amp to (?). This would help me out more than anything. I looked at those pictures and they make no sense to me.