I cant Sleep Until I Decide (CATBACK)

Makdaddymac

May 28, 2005
orlando
Look until the mods make a sticky the exhasut thing is always going to flood the threads, so sorry.....
and now that im very familiar with the 5.0 i hate to be the guy to create more than necessary exhaust threads, but ive researched, and i understand whats what, i know all the brands, fitment issues, difference with x or h....... and i am seriously going nuts......
Here is a question that google and youtube cant help me with. I have a o/r x-pipe with below mods so my motor is little louder and beefier than stock......

Between

Magnaflow
MAC
Pypes

which is the loudest, magnaflow is obviuosly third, but would a mac be louder than pypes, i want the loudest but yet least raspiest to match the x.... im assuming magnaflow but that might be to quite for me:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I would go with a Wal-Mart brand muffler before i went with Mac so go with one of the others...you will be happy....I have full Mac eveything its in my Sig....Mac mufflers sound like Crap IMO.....Im switching to the boring FLOWMASTER..I know everyone has it but there is a reason for that they sound good!...hope this helps....

I have the MAC and it is super loud! Too loud for me, actually. If you want loud go for the MAC. If you actually want a good deep rumble, real muscle car tone, ditch the x-pipe and go for the real thing; an H-Pipe!! X-pipes might make 1 or 2 additional horsepower, but the sacrifice in their raspy sound and tone is not worth it, IMO. 2 cents.

I have the MAC and it is super loud! Too loud for me, actually. If you want loud go for the MAC. If you actually want a good deep rumble, real muscle car tone, ditch the x-pipe and go for the real thing; an H-Pipe!! X-pipes might make 1 or 2 additional horsepower, but the sacrifice in their raspy sound and tone is not worth it, IMO. 2 cents.

I must have hearing problems or the wrong Mac cat back because mine is super quiet!!!! And i mean super quiet...I cant wait to ditch the Mac mufflers...and put something else on...I too have the off road H pipe and Long tubes...I was just hoping for a very loud set-up and this isnt...at all....

i dont know where you guys find that x pipes sound "raspy". I have had 2 different x pipes on my car and 2 different catbacks and neither x pipe has sounded "raspy". Maybe i just havent heard the same set ups, regardless, i think its a pretty blanket statement to say all x pipes sound raspy.

I have BBK shorties, a catted X, and SLP LM1s and i love it. a little louder than stock below 2k, very little drone, then its very throaty(2-3k), and then it flat out screams(3+). it sounds fantastic on the outside too. But i know everyone on here will quote me and tell me im an idiot and SLPs are like vomiting out your tailpipes. And i wont care one bit.

One thing i will say though, is its not worth losing sleep over.

Speaking from personal experience, the Mac is a fairly loud system and throaty system...not raspy at all......but the drone on the highway proved to be a real PITA for me. I tried different configurations of H and X-pipe and I still couldn't make it go away completely. So it's a nice system as long as you don't mind being unable to hear your radio or the person next to you between 1,800-2,100RPM. :)

I'd have to say right now i'm biased towards Magnaflows...but i really wanna get a set of Spintechs and drive them for a while to see how i like'em. I do really like Mac too though...never heard Pypes in person so i can't say.

I don't know but i would guess they might have less drone...Macs do drone quite a bit (not as bad as Flowmasters though). The X pipe is gonna cut down on drone a little but full lengths really cut down the drone a lot, along with tail pipes. The deeper and more rumbly an exhaust is, the more it's gonna drone.

I'm pretty sure the muffs that Teh Notch had when I first got it were MACs. They didn't sound bad, really, but they droned like mad, and they were welded on in a crappy way, so I ditched 'em ASAP.

I've been through a LOT of different exhaust setups on 5.0's and 4.6's, and by far the best one for a 5.0 that I've come up with is an off-road X-pipe (I prefer the Jeg's piece) with Pypes Violator muffs and Dynomax stainless tails - best fit, best sound, and (overall) best price. I do really like the sound of Magnaflows, though, so I may give those a shot when it comes time for me to throw something on the Black Pearl, but they're VERY similar in design to the Violators - a straight-through muffler with some insulation packing inside. I believe the Violators have far less packing and they use shaped louvers to perforate the through-tube instead of just a bunch of tiny little holes. Comparing the two, I'd say the Violators have a more appealing hollow sound in general, sort of like a chambered muffler (Spintechs) without the drone, while the Magnaflows sound similar at high RPM's but otherwise are more sedate and mellow at idle and cruise.

Other equivalents to Magnaflows that are VERY similar in design and sound would be Hooker Maximum Flows and Dynomax Ultra-Flos - straight-through insulation-packed mufflers, similar sound, design, flow, and characteristics - but you might be able to score a pair of those cheaper than you would a set of Magnaflows.

FWIW, I am NOT a fan of Magnaflows' tailpipes with their clamp-on tips. It's better to buy a set of stainless or chrome tails (and the flow tubes ahead of the muffs) separately from the mufflers, rather than a packaged cat-back, as you'll likely save money AND get better fitment and looks. :nice:

I happened upon the Dynomax tails as a good-fitting/-looking deal because I originally had a Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back on Teh Notch before deciding it was way too quiet and blah, and since it was clamped and not welded, I reused the flow tubes and tailpipes. Flowmaster cat-backs suck because they weld the muffs to the flow tubes, so you have almost NO adjustment in trying to install it, and the tailpipes' hangers always seem to fit like crap. MAC tails have nice ball-and-socket fittings that allow a lot of adjustment, but I'm not keen on how the chrome on their tails start way too far back so the seam where it starts doesn't tuck under out of sight behind the rear wheel.