I did pretty good at the 1/8th mile.

Team Ford

Dec 16, 2005
This was my 4th time drag racing. The first run of the night during test & tune I staged and took my foot off the brake and my car rolled back out of the staging area. They told me that usally thats a red light/ foul and Id lose but they reset the lights and let me run...I felt pretty stupid. I blamed the track of course.:rolleyes:
The 2nd run I avoided the water box as I have 315 sumi's (20psi) and didnt want to burn them off so I just gave them a quick spin to knock off any loose dirt and lined up in the other lane. The light turned full green before I left...my reaction time showed a full second!:rlaugh: My friends asked me what I was doing and so I told them I was making a sandwhich....some other drag racers were standing around laughing and told me to leave as the last yellow was fully lit. I knew that from last time...but I had the deer in headlights syndrome when it lit.
The 3rd run was for keeps.
I was paired up against a 69'? Jet black Barracuda that was just awesome. He had an index of 7.88 mine was 8.95 (im an optimist) He asked me what lane I wanted and of course I said the right and he said me too so lets flip for it. He won the toss so I was in the hilly left lane. I asked him if he could wait for me to really get settled into my stage so I didnt roll back again and he agreed.
The Race
The track boss pointed to me and him and pulled us upto the water, stopped us and had us spin quick to put water on the tires then pull forward and do a burn out. I pulled ahead looked down to make sure the traction control was off and then put the car into 2nd and power braked it, I held the rpms up at 5000 and watched in my mirror as plumes of bluish white smoke bellowed out from the fender wells and noted the same in the right mirror. I could hear my competition doing the same and then a camera flash from behind us went off illuminating the smoke and cars..it looked really cool.
I let off the brake and eased off the throttle as the tires gave me a nice screetch then a bark as they hooked on the track and lurched the car ahead.
I had to get on the brakes hard as I almost went through the staging lights:D
I rolled into the first light and then very slowly tripped the 2nd. I tried to heel toe the brake and gas but with a Mustang you really cant do that. So I brought out the clutch just as it started to hold the car where it was and brought my rpms upto 3300 and felt good. My adversary then tripped the 2nd light and it was show time.
The last yellow lit full bright and was starting to dim; I dumped the clutch and dropped the hammer but I didnt see the green light yet so I let off the throttle and then seen the green..I was like wow that did work and stabbed the go peddle again the tires were yelling at me as they struggled for traction, I power shifted 2nd and heard a loud chirp the torque was pushing me back into my seat. Not letting off the gas quick clutch and banged 3rd another loud chirp everything was feeling good. I crossed the finish line with my rev limiter bouncing off 5800rpms in 3rd. I looked to my right and seen the Barracuda cross the line about half a car behind me and man oh man he was catching me faaaaasssst.
We both broke out...but I broke out more which gave the win to him.
ME
.6108-----reaction
2.1073----60 ft
5.7301----330 ft
8.8331----1/8 et
79.92-----1/8 mph

Mechanically the only thing thats wrong with my car is the rear swaybar is not bolted up....I need to fix a stripped nut.

A newer Camaro SS with BFG Drag radials ran a 8.5 on his first run then a 10sec on his 2nd run as he went up in smoke. I think with my swaybar bolted up and a good launch that would be a good race for me...I'm also going to move my rev limiter up to 6k.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

A 9.0 with stock gearing...stock everything? WOW!! Awesome job! I need to get you behind the wheel of my ride to see what its capable of.

I will disconnect the front sway bar for sho next time...good tip.

awesome times man. My best so far is a 9.2 with my exhaust work and the diablo tune. Normally people get better too the more and more they go to the track but not me lol i went from my first time ever hitting 2.0 60's to now nothing but 2.3 60's although i did improve my time .2 seconds from my first time with just the edition of my xpipe.

yea with some better tires i would say you would be in the 8.5 ball park:nice: