I just spent a lot of money on a transmission

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
Hey Stangnet,

I haven't been on here much lately, but I am hoping to do another install thread soon so that more people can have better information on aftermarket parts combatibility. As always, the internet was devoid of information when I was doing this purchase, because people don't have a natural enthusiasm for sharing. I just spent a HUGE amount of money on a new transmission since my TR3550 has clearly had it after 2 decades of hard shifting and drag slicks. So I went all out on this one. I promise to get as many pictures as I can, get all the details, promote all the different vendors on their engineering merits, and above all else use a thread title that is google search friendly so that people get the best information possible.
20230511_183118.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

What clutch are you putting in it?
I am actually not replacing the clutch. I am staying with my Vengeance twin disk clutch.

Reactions: 1 user
I am actually not replacing the clutch. I am staying with my Vengeance twin disk clutch.

I'm interested to see how tough that is to set up. I've seen some other twin disks that looked like a PITA.

gear ratios? Welcome to the T56 club! I like 'em so much I've got one in all 3 of my cars. Let me know if I can help.
2.66:1 first gear ratio. Hanlon convinced me flat out that it was the best option for a car that makes as much torque as mine does. Telling me you have put a Magnum T56 in 3 different cars is basically a death warrant for your PM box. I obcess about the details, and you might end up with too many questions to answer.

Kurt

I'm interested to see how tough that is to set up. I've seen some other twin disks that looked like a PITA.
I actually installed the clutch 2 years ago. There's nothing to it. You just have to stack 5 pancakes instead of 3 pancakes; and torque it down to factory specs. It's honestly about 1 vagina hair harder to install than a factory clutch.

Kurt

2.66:1 first gear ratio. Hanlon convinced me flat out that it was the best option for a car that makes as much torque as mine does. Telling me you have put a Magnum T56 in 3 different cars is basically a death warrant for your PM box. I obcess about the details, and you might end up with too many questions to answer.

Kurt
Now he'll get 35 pms wanting him to come help!!

No magnums, unfortunately. Viper-spec T56 and two custom geared boxes based on the '03 Cobra T56. However, I'll bet there's a lot of overlap. Also, here're 2 links you might have already seen:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/understanding-foxbody-transmissions.html
My latest install: https://stangnet.com/mustang-forums...aded-to-autocross.884727/page-12#post-9374348

First link is likely to answer a lot of questions.

No magnums, unfortunately. Viper-spec T56 and two custom geared boxes based on the '03 Cobra T56. However, I'll bet there's a lot of overlap. Also, here're 2 links you might have already seen:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/understanding-foxbody-transmissions.html
My latest install: https://stangnet.com/mustang-forums...aded-to-autocross.884727/page-12#post-9374348

First link is likely to answer a lot of questions.
Unfortunately I don't think I am going to gain much from your experience. There is not one single part number that I am aware of that is interchangeable between a T-56 and a TR6060 (Magnum T56}. Hanlon included a reverse lockout electrical control device.

Well, maybe since I ordered some incorrect part numbers too, I can still be of use ;)

PM me an address if you want a half-assed decent Prothane Poly mount for a Magnum:
Magnum poly mount.jpg

The part numbers for several swaps, including Magnums into SN-95s are in the AmericanMuscle link I posted. The fundmentals are going to be the same... maybe you don't need help with squaring the bellhousing (same part number) to the block, the slack you need in the yoke, setting pinion angle (and a crossmember recommendation), correctly measuring the D/S length. You've probably done it all before. You probably know how to ensure the T/O bearing retainer won't interfere with the twin disk clutch.

Fortunately, you won't have any troubles with fox style BBK LT header clearance, shortening the fork, drilling the bellhousing for cable alignment, adapting a digital to mechanical speedo, adapting an out of spec D/S, etc... So, I'll bet it'll be fairly plug n' play for you, but if anything comes up that occurs that I might be of service, feel free to reach out. -Chris

Last edited:
Assuming you are utilizing the existing the 3550 bell housing? If so what bell did you use?

We are using a Quick Time bell for the Magnum going in the '69 and I grabbed Bowler's wiring for the reverse lockout:

Still not sure what shifter to go with but that's a looong way out as the car got back from getting all the metal work done and the bank accounts are recovering.

As far as I know, the only one in production is the Quicktime RM-8031 (7 o'clock). The RM-8030 (9 o'clock) would work in a fox with a special McLeod adapter you can't get anymore. There was a McLeod Bellhousing that worked with the old T56s, and maybe the Magnums, but I never found one.

As far as I know, the only one in production is the Quicktime RM-8031 (7 o'clock). The RM-8030 (9 o'clock) would work in a fox with a special McLeod adapter you can't get anymore. There was a McLeod Bellhousing that worked with the old T56s, and maybe the Magnums, but I never found one.
You are correct, the only bellhousing available was the Quicktime with the 7 o'clock. It's a massive piece, and I am probably going to have to pull a header to fit it in. I had a coworker who spend two months in the hospital because a clutch went through his leg, so I am kind of glad to have the scattershield.

Kurt

Well, maybe since I ordered some incorrect part numbers too, I can still be of use ;)

The part numbers for several swaps, including Magnums into SN-95s are in the AmericanMuscle link I posted. The fundmentals are going to be the same... maybe you don't need help with squaring the bellhousing (same part number) to the block, the slack you need in the yoke, setting pinion angle (and a crossmember recommendation), correctly measuring the D/S length. You've probably done it all before. You probably know how to ensure the T/O bearing retainer won't interfere with the twin disk clutch.

Fortunately, you won't have any troubles with fox style BBK LT header clearance, shortening the fork, drilling the bellhousing for cable alignment, adapting a digital to mechanical speedo, adapting an out of spec D/S, etc... So, I'll bet it'll be fairly plug n' play for you, but if anything comes up that occurs that I might be of service, feel free to reach out. -Chris

I got a new mount, but thank you. Fortunately I have learned one of those most important things over the last few decades, and that is you can rely on people who want to make money. So I just called Hanlon and said "tell me what I need." I have actually never dialed a bellhousing, because I have never had one that required it. So this is the setup. I knew from the get go that the clutch fork would interfere with the headers, so I spent the money for a hydraulic conversion up front.

Magnum T-56
Hanlon race shifter
Quicktime bellhousing
Stifflers Cross Member/driveshaft loop
Custom Driveshaft with 1550 joints
Malwood hydraulic Master
RAM hydraulic slave
Some electronic reverse lockout module. I can't remember the manufacturer

They prefer the Malwood setup because it's cheaper, and the master is under the dash and does not interfere with any engine or brake options like the McLeod or the Modern Driveline. All the vendors did do very good youtube videos to install all this stuff. The reverse lockout module came with instructions on how to install it.

Oh, and I just realized that I might have come off a bit dismissive about your offer to help. Sorry about that. I need all the help I can get.

Kurt

Last edited:
Hi Kurt,

Congrats on the purchase! I think it will be money well spent once you get it finished.

How are you going to hang the mid-pipe? Did you already have the stock SN95 hanger modified for the TR3550? The factory setup is kind of odd hanging off ofthe trailshft housing. I've been trying to think of clean alternatives that don't involve buying a Foxbody mid-pipe or major fabrication.

Thanks!

The TR 6060 is great trans, I have one in my ZL1

However the Viper spec has a snake on the case..... a mean snake!
Those ZL1s are so badass. I am aware of the upgrades that can be done to go way past Viper Spec. If I modded this transmission like I did my TR3550 it's going to be more about shifting speed. That means brass fork pads and fiber lined blocker rings. People are putting 1500hp through factory Magnum T56s.

Kurt