I need a new engine

• Sponsors (?)

i thought the number i got was low but the car runs fine (save for the BIG issue)

im thinking about possibly building a motor based on the brand new sportsman block i have sitting in my closet. i bought that block to build a stout botom end for when i turboed my car, which didnt end up happening:(. its been forsale for a month or two and i could build a nice motor on the stock block with the money i could get for it.

im stuck on either doing a rebuild of some stock motor or building a motor on the sportsman block i have (which i really dont need). im so lost and confused:bang:

i do have a block for sale but it needs a rebuild too...so not much help there....

I would drive it till you can't stand it anymore, park it, save money and build off the sportsman

94gts said:
the oil blowing everywhere has been within the past 2 weeks or so.

i should also have made it clear that my motor has 113k on it and it has been though 9 bottles of nitrous on a 125/150 shot, so it is definately toast:(

:nonono: 5 years and going strong here.... I have weak compression, but hey 188,000 and as much juice as my car has seen, it's to be expected. Ran my best times last trip out actually. :D

And my Zex kit is my first nitrous kit as well. I love it!

i guess its hit or miss with the nitrous. I know people like you who have 160k+ and still spray their motors. I also know people who have blown up the first time they sprayed

the sportsman block is ready to go, it doesnt need any machine work (that is if i kept it 302). so all i would need to buy is a rotating assembly. is a 327 std bore and just stroked, if so i could do that?

dam, i may want to go a little bigger but i dont have the money to spend on machine costs:bang:. plus, i would need a new cam and some other crap.

94gts said:
the sportsman block is ready to go, it doesnt need any machine work (that is if i kept it 302). so all i would need to buy is a rotating assembly. is a 327 std bore and just stroked, if so i could do that?

dam, i may want to go a little bigger but i dont have the money to spend on machine costs:bang:. plus, i would need a new cam and some other crap.

Go 342. Why give up free cubes, Kyle?

You don't need a new cam. But a different one would make the 342 run more ideal obviously.

If money is an object buy a cheap 302 shortblock and throw it in. If you can swing it, go 342/347 :nice:

i have a situation here. i have the opportuniy to do either a nice fresh rebuild or add some size to my motor. in order to do those things the right way, its going to take a good amount of money, which i dont have a lot of right now.

its summer, and i just want to drive my car without any hassles. i think i am just going to go with my first idea and find a low mileage 302 to stuff in there for now. plus, with the low miles, i will be able to spray it again:D

I had the same problem, so I'm using it as an excuse to go 347 which coincidentally is no different in cost than an equivalent 306 :shrug: only problem is now the car just sits in my parents' driveway while I come over and wash it regularly.

i think what i am going to do is reuse stock crank and rods, have the block bored .030, and buy a DSS rebuild kit with 306 pistons, rings, bearings, etc for $500. then pay whatever it cost to have the motor built. will be a lot cheaper than buying an entire rotating assembly and not to mention all the other costs.

94gts said:
will be a lot cheaper than buying an entire rotating assembly and not to mention all the other costs.

lol no it won't.

Buy a cheap 302 shortblock and throw your stuff on that. Why end up spending $1500-$2000 on rebuild that won't add much power??? If you're gonna spend that much, buy a 50oz balanced 347 since you aren't looking to rev it anyway.

Grn92LX said:
Buy a cheap 302 shortblock and throw your stuff on that..

the only reason i have against that is not knowing the condition of the motor, and thats a pretty big reason.

Grn92LX said:
Why end up spending $1500-$2000 on rebuild that won't add much power??? If you're gonna spend that much, buy a 50oz balanced 347 since you aren't looking to rev it anyway.

i dont see it costing anywhere near that much. i have lots of connections so i could probably get it done for less than $1000.

even if i did a 347, i am going to HAVE to get it tuned for it to even run, and thats money i just dont have:(

i guess its hit or miss with the nitrous. I know people like you who have 160k+ and still spray their motors. I also know people who have blown up the first time they sprayed

I wouldn't say it's hit or miss...it's all in the way it's setup. A improperly installed nitrous kit or a motor that hasn't been tuned for nitrous may not last very long. A properly setup car should be just fine and get lots of nitrous miles.

Swarzkopf said:
I wouldn't say it's hit or miss...it's all in the way it's setup. A improperly installed nitrous kit or a motor that hasn't been tuned for nitrous may not last very long. A properly setup car should be just fine and get lots of nitrous miles.

x2 Most horror stories are from those that start with the biggest shot they have available and think they can bolt it on the car and go. :nonono:

well it doesnt matter what condition my motor is in right now. im taking the car off the road. last night i hit a deer doing about 50mph.

i need a new fender, hood, headlight panel, headlight, and corner light. the car also needs a new windshield but its not from the deer. i have liability only so its all gotta come out of my pocket:(

i hate my life

94gts said:
well it doesnt matter what condition my motor is in right now. im taking the car off the road. last night i hit a deer doing about 50mph.

i need a new fender, hood, headlight panel, headlight, and corner light. the car also needs a new windshield but its not from the deer. i have liability only so its all gotta come out of my pocket:(

i hate my life
dang! sorry about the car; just as sorry for the deer. at least you weren't hurt. probably ruined the deer's day.

94gts said:

i hate my life

Dude, youll get through this. What side headlight do you have?I have a passenger side one. I also will have a hood, and I bought a fender for $15. I also MIGHT have my shortblock (8 k miles since rebuild) for sale. You can make it through this, both of our cars are going through tought times.

thanks for the support guys.

as far as what parts i need, im not gonna buy anything yet because im gonna take some time and figure out what im going to do with the car. im not getting rid of it but i need to decide what work i am going to do first. all the damage is on the passenger side though.

tomorrow i get to start driving this again...HOORAY!:(

000_0084.jpg

Attachments

• 000_0084.jpg
    000_0084.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 39