I need some questions on time

Troy55

Oct 12, 2006
Texas
alright boys, I own a 99' Cobra converty. I have a **** load of mods right now, but just a stock block. Well I sent the red beauty to a motorcraftsman to drop some serious cash on the motor. I'm not going blower, reason for that is, i'm wanting to take another approach to see if i'm doomed or not. Well the motor is going to be naturally aspirated to about 550 to 600 hp. and pretty sure close to the same with torque. at the wheels, i'll probably be at 500 or a little more with torqgue and HP. I'm going with a 9' custom rearend with a 35 spline. I will still have 4'10s and my t-56, and my stage 3 clutch, my aluminum drive shaft, BBK Longtubes, BBK X-pipe, Mac Cat-Bak and maybe a little more ***** I might have left out i have.

But I'm curious with now getting my motor all ripped how I will do with the LS1's and others on the road. and especially what I could be running at the track. I'm not the best driver but I do take care of bussiness when i'm running it. so I'm not an amateur. I just want some oppinions how this ****** is gonna roll. Also running my kind of set up, will blowed motors murder me still?

if blowed motors still beat me though, i'm setting my car up to handle a blower or a couple snails anyway....Just want some insight guys.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Ahhh....I see. I'd be impressed to see that many HP's out of a NA 4.6.

You get that much power, and get it to the ground I'd guess you'll see 12's, maybe 11's.

LS1's will be way behind you. And you should be beating blown 4.6's too...unless of course they're modded 03/04 Cobra's running 600hp.

Honestly though, I'm hesitant to think you'll get that much power out of it.

It IS a DOHC so that is to his advantage, but I still am in the camp that thinks it'll probably be tough to get that kind of power out of the motor naturally aspirated. Although Mach 1's come with 305 stock, put on full exhaust, full bolt ons with extremely aggressive cams, fuel system to support it, and ported heads, and i'd bet 400N/A would be possible...

alright dude here is what I want so far on to be put on the car.

Overhaul Existing Block. 3.75'' New Forged stroker cranksahft, H-beam rods, Ross Pistons, total seal rings utilized.

M2 Systems CNC port work - Flowbench tested & Gasket matched to existing 4v intake manifold.

90mm CNC Billet throttlebody, RC Engineering injectors, and billet fuel rails. Includes ported lower intake manifold work. Includes replacement of worn sensors, IE Oxygen, IAT, and TPS. New Fuel Pump, adjustable billet regulator, and braided lines.

Calico Coated 77 bearing & Cradin coated piston skirts and thermal coated piston tops.

DOHC/ SVT Custom Grind Camshafts ( grinds are confidential haha)

Canton Wet-sump oil system, Blueprinted DOHC oil pump case, billet trigger wheel, & blueprinted timing sets.

also my motorcraftsman's engine Billet fabriacated vavle voers with prepped valve springs, new valves, retainers, and seals.

Once that gets done then I'll F8Kin think of some other stuff.

Also customizing my rear-end

Rocketman said:

I agree ^^^^

your not even going to get close to 500 horse to the wheels in that setup it's not even a big bore. I am not trying to be a jerk but I think your way overestimating your combo.. to get to that kind of power you would need to go big bore with a ass load of compression with ultra agressive cams and some insanely good porting..

I think your gonna fall short of those numbers also. For the money you will spend on trying to build a high power NA motor you could drop less into forced induction and make just as much power IMO. Dunno what a stock Cobra bottom end is good for, but im sure youd have enough $ left over to be on your way to a forged bottom end.

I mean, the prices for 4v cams alone (and not custom grinds mind you) are a bit over a grand for a set... imagine the rest of the parts.

Seriously not trying to burst your bubble, but you picked a really bad platform to build a powerful NA engine without having an endless hole in your pocket to burn.

svttech76 said:
your not even going to get close to 500 horse to the wheels in that setup it's not even a big bore. I am not trying to be a jerk but I think your way overestimating your combo.. to get to that kind of power you would need to go big bore with a ass load of compression with ultra agressive cams and some insanely good porting..

That's exactly what I was thinking!

well, not exactly but I was thinking 500 was boombastic ... :banana:

DTNODYA said:
That's exactly what I was thinking!

well, not exactly but I was thinking 500 was boombastic ... :banana:

I left out many other things too.. the 1 5/8 primary long tubes won't cut it,, he would need somthing in the 1 7/8 range atleast, especially because to get to 500 N/A horse I am think a compression ratio in the 18.0.1 range with massive overlap to bleed off some compression down low so the thing won't blow up.. The stock manifold even ported woul not cut it.. sheet metal custom manifold time.. and that is BIG bucks.

I just checked it out and the guy from VT engines claims his most powerfull one was 475 at the wheels N/A and that was a big bore stroker.

a few other guys on MD running 12-1 compression on BBS's are in the 400's NA but the tourqe is down in the high 300's

Now what I am talking about is the 550-600 range and I am not sure how that would work out... 450 can be done with a lot lot less. there are several 4v's on MD making that kind of power and I think he can get somewhere in the low 400's when he gets tuning and swaping out some of the stuff that is holding him back.

One thing he will need to do is shorten the intake runners.. those long runners will be a road block.

SVT Tech...I say get your shop opened up so you can do my work haha. You obviously know your stuff...I've read up on the stuff he's wanting to put in my car, but the only way my motor could possibly get that high is some crazy ass compression. and good luck for the motor to last that long. I'm just trying to do something a little different then most people (not saying the regular stuff is bad) it's just common. I have about 18 grand to invest with, so I was thinkin about all kinds of bizarre stuff to do.

Big bore/stroker, FR500 H/C/I, all boltons, electric WP, LTs/midpipe/catback, lots of other crap and you'll be in the 400-450 rwhp range, probably high 300tq. But that motor will happily rev to 7000+. I can't find the exact guy over on SVTperformance but I know someone over there has the setup I was describing and those were the #s he was putting down.

Edit... Check out Nazman, he has a 304BB w/ a hell of a lot of mods, 459rwhp N/A http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4206841&postcount=4

Troy55 said:
SVT Tech...I say get your shop opened up so you can do my work haha. You obviously know your stuff...I've read up on the stuff he's wanting to put in my car, but the only way my motor could possibly get that high is some crazy ass compression. and good luck for the motor to last that long. I'm just trying to do something a little different then most people (not saying the regular stuff is bad) it's just common. I have about 18 grand to invest with, so I was thinkin about all kinds of bizarre stuff to do.

Yeah I was just going off the top of my head on what I thought some of the stuff needed to get 600 RWHP N/A would be, I am not sure if it would work.. :lol: but if I won the powerball I sure would try it...

I think you have enough funds to put a nice BB/stroker motor that can make 400+ WRHP that is a lot of power then if you want some more you can trow a little spray at it too.

In my PM to you I pointed out a couple of things I think you should do.. another things is check out what the top 4V guys have done and feel free to ask around before you start buying stuff.

Thanks for the advice fellas...I've just been educated haha...I'll keep ya'll posted on what I do...I'm thinking I should just buy a badass longblock from VT....But I dont know, I'll know what i'm going to do next week. But thanks for waking me up haha.

Well I'd hope with 450+rwhp he is in the low low 12's or high 11's. Cause I know at least 2 2v's that are.
But trying to build a NA mod motor to those levels. Will take an insane amount of $$$$.
Personally I'd go twin turbo, built engine, and be done with it. Not super common, but common enough that it could be done on your budget.

Probably not brutha...No need to trade a little older cobra for one that looks partially similar except for the bumper, hood, and wing. I already have those. plus the up to date modifications. I just need motor work.