I never painted my SFCs, is that bad?

• Sponsors (?)

Yellow01GT said:
I had my MM full length SFCs installed last November and never painted them. Can I leave them unpainted? What should I do?

They are probably a beautiful color of Rust Orange now. I would get yourself some wire brushes, and have a party under there. Then when they are cleaned up, spray them with some paint. I just checked mine out (I have MM powder coated) and I have some rust around the welds and what not. I started to clean them a bit so that I could paint them to look nice.

-Jim

Well, the thing is...I have a wire brush and I scrubbed at a spot for about 10 minutes and it got a lot of the rust off and made it smooth, but it still has that orangish-brown color to it. Do I need to go down to the bare metal or is it fine to paint it once it's smooth (but still kinda rust-colored)? The brush didn't want to really get any more off.

Yellow01GT said:
Well, the thing is...I have a wire brush and I scrubbed at a spot for about 10 minutes and it got a lot of the rust off and made it smooth, but it still has that orangish-brown color to it. Do I need to go down to the bare metal or is it fine to paint it once it's smooth (but still kinda rust-colored)? The brush didn't want to really get any more off.

get some sandpaper and sand it, then you'll want to make sure its 100% clean and bare metal before you paint it (dont touch it either or it will rust)..

jadesville said:
get some sandpaper and sand it, then you'll want to make sure its 100% clean and bare metal before you paint it (dont touch it either or it will rust)..

:stupid: If you touch it when it's down to bare metal it will get flash rust and if you paint it it will grow like a d@mn organism in there, a d@mn virus is what it is, it will never stop spreading :bang: