I Tried Paint Thinner In My Gas. Works Great! [hand Tuned]

98Mustang2017

May 3, 2017
ct
I just wanted to share my results with KleanStrip paint thinner. The CLEAr one, not the white biodegradeable one.
At first i came home with the white container, pour a splash and notice "whoa this stuff is white! That aint happenin" . So i returned it to walmart, got a refund and got what i needed.

So how i made it work is:
Disconnect both front o2 sensors to enrich the fuel mix. I then poured 1/4 of the container into my 1/8th filled gas tank. Did an idle. then a small pull. Was peppier.

Mind you this is v6 3.8l manual trans.

So i added more. Now i poured a total of half the container. Was even peppier and it seemed to stretch the powerband wider. Little afterfiring but that was expected on an octane booster. This stuff is like nitrous that you pour into your gas tank. More expensive though. Not worth doing it often. Like $8 per 1/8th tank.

Removing the o2 sensors could only get me so far in fuel. Now i disconnect the MAF and IAT and sure enough the engine ran richer.I knew this stuff was really working because the engine would normally die due to the richness.
The engine still needed my foot to stay running so i pour 1/4 more of the container in the gas tank. I will tell you this stuff really works. I was able to do some 4th gear tire peeling action up an incline. Can definitely feel the snap after each gear change.

The stretched powerband doesn't last long at all though in 4th gear. You can hear and feel the power fall flat. Maybe it was too much of an incline for 4th gear. I am considering adding more to it and adding a touch more fuel by removing/plugging the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.

The lack of ignition timing is pretty neat too just for the crackle sound that says you did something. One or two degrees advance would be about right for this fuel mod.

But all in all you 100% do get a power gain. No matter what they say, or heard, or heard from a guy thats heard.

----------EDIT: i forgot to mention this test was done with 4.56 gears installed. There is no way a 3.8 v6 on stock 2.73 gears would spin 4th gear like that---------

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Just a guess, you are using toluene as an octane booster?
http://www.worldofchemicals.com/428...ive-for-racing-fuels-fuel-octane-booster.html
As for power gains, it will just depend on how effectively you can make use of the extra octane. If you have a turbo or supercharger and can crank the boost up an extra 5-6 psi, you can see some VERY nice gains.
On a 3.8l with stock 9.0:1 compression, any gains you see are likely within the statistical error of the test and the perceived gains you described above are probably the result of inhaling too much of the stuff: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/818939-overview

Reactions: 1 user
You can do the same with methanol as well . Just make sure you have the car running richer or problems could happen.
You don't need high compression to have ethanol..methanol...nitrous.. in your system. Just think of it as a small constant hit of liquid nitrous...chemical supercharging.

If you haven't tried it or don't understand it, you will doubt it.

K, bye.

Yup, I have sprayed nitrous and run ethanol (E85). In fact, I have run both at once in my old 88 mustang. That old 4 cyl seemed like like 20psi of boost, but the 35 shot really brought it to life, especially out of the hole. This combination was good enough for 12.2's on an otherwise stock iron shortblock and head.

But here is the problem with your assertion: The chemical forumla for toluene is C7H8. Notice there is no extra oxygen (or O) in the forumla, hence no "chemical supercharging" effect.

Nitrous improves power because it's chemical forumla is N2O, or 33% oxygen where as regular boring air is only 21% oxygen. Similarly, Ethanol is C2H6O. Notice the extra oxygen stuck on the end. Even so, the power gains from that extra oxygen in ethanol are only in the neighborhood of 3% with no tuning changes to take advantage of the extra octane of ethanol.

You might be getting a little bit of extra cooling effect from the toluene, but find a track and prove the real gains. I would be shocked if you even gained a tenth in the quarter mile.

You can do the same with methanol as well . Just make sure you have the car running richer or problems could happen.
You don't need high compression to have ethanol..methanol...nitrous.. in your system. Just think of it as a small constant hit of liquid nitrous...chemical supercharging.

If you haven't tried it or don't understand it, you will doubt it.

K, bye.

Yup, I have sprayed nitrous and run ethanol (E85). In fact, I have run both at once in my old 88 mustang. That old 4 cyl seemed like like 20psi of boost, but the 35 shot really brought it to life, especially out of the hole. This combination was good enough for 12.2's on an otherwise stock iron shortblock and head.

But here is the problem with your assertion: The chemical forumla for toluene is C7H8. Notice there is no extra oxygen (or O) in the forumla, hence no "chemical supercharging" effect.

Nitrous improves power because it's chemical forumla is N2O, or 33% oxygen where as regular boring air is only 21% oxygen. Similarly, Ethanol is C2H6O. Notice the extra oxygen stuck on the end. Even so, the power gains from that extra oxygen in ethanol are only in the neighborhood of 3% with no tuning changes to take advantage of the extra octane of ethanol.

You might be getting a little bit of extra cooling effect from the toluene, but find a track and prove the real gains. I would be shocked if you even gained a tenth in the quarter mile.

Correct

This assertion is incorrect. At most, without changing physical components, you will see some advantage to a bump in ignition timing. Even then, this is only if you were on the cusp of detonation with your previous fuel.

Increasing octane does not increase BTUs. Since you are displacing a fuel (gasoline) in some part, with a substance containing few BTUs, you are dealing with a diminishing return on your timing gain. You can only advance timing so much to be effective.

In terms of high compression or boost:

Increasing octane (the resistance a fuel has to ignition from heat and compression) gives a much higher return on just a few degrees of ignition timing. At 14.7 lbs of boost, each degree of timing is theoretically worth twice what it was worth normally aspirated. If the fuel is able to resist detonating before that ignition is introduced THEN we have a significant increase in HP due to octane.

I would hazard to guess that on nearly all normally aspirated production cars that 93 Octane will offer about as much performance as you're going to get. I would even suggest that there is tuning room and horse power to be had within a 93 octane rated fuel. I would also hazard to guess that the tune increase with 93 octane pump gas is larger than any increase you will see in a higher than 93 octane fuel+tuning on an N/A car.

ok, i just compared side-by-side videos of before n after speed runs.

RESULTS: The time came out the same.
i think the throttle response increased though. or MAYBE it was due to the very cold air lately.

But one thing that i did like was The exhaust smelled like some delicious sweet corn on the grill.

Just my learning experience. . Sorry for the inconvenience.

ok, i just compared side-by-side videos of before n after speed runs.

RESULTS: The time came out the same.
i think the throttle response increased though. or MAYBE it was due to the very cold air lately.

But one thing that i did like was The exhaust smelled like some delicious sweet corn on the grill.

Just my learning experience. . Sorry for the inconvenience.

No worries man. We like this kind of stuff. Welcome to the difference between bookface and Stangnet.

We'd rather talk it through and find out what's up vs. disparaging your family members whom we've never met. lol

Good job bringing @bhuff30 out of the woods. He hasn't posted since August of 16! lol Welcome back bhuff!

Thanks, Just too juicy to pass this one up. Add some boost or more compression and you'll see the times drop on toluene. Cold weather can make a big difference. The engine makes just a little more power, but single digit temps make the tires rock hard and you can spin them at will. Makes it feel like you are driving a beast, even though it is really just a traction issue. I learned this quickly with the 88 hp my 4cyl mustang was originally equipped with. LOL

I've been distracted by the factory five lately. I guess August 16 is shortly after I got it registered and on the road.
The 97 GT is gone, but I now have an 06 GT. It has been pretty reliable, so not much need to get on the forum. It's also less fun, runs the same times as the 97 did, and gets worse gas mileage by 2 mpg all the time. Ohh well, I needed something safer and with less miles.

Thanks, Just too juicy to pass this one up. Add some boost or more compression and you'll see the times drop on toluene. Cold weather can make a big difference. The engine makes just a little more power, but single digit temps make the tires rock hard and you can spin them at will. Makes it feel like you are driving a beast, even though it is really just a traction issue. I learned this quickly with the 88 hp my 4cyl mustang was originally equipped with. LOL

I've been distracted by the factory five lately. I guess August 16 is shortly after I got it registered and on the road.
The 97 GT is gone, but I now have an 06 GT. It has been pretty reliable, so not much need to get on the forum. It's also less fun, runs the same times as the 97 did, and gets worse gas mileage by 2 mpg all the time. Ohh well, I needed something safer and with less miles.

The octane topic pops back up every couple of years. A quarter century ago, I might have been on the other end of this discussion. :chin

I'd try talking you into getting a Fox but not with an F5 already taking up a space.