Electrical Iac has no effect

Scott7512

May 19, 2015
Branchland WV
Trying to get this thing to idle. 93 5.0 with new hci setup. Base idle reset done. It acts the same if the iac is plugged in or not. It will not idle up when ac is on and it searches to find idle I set it at. I have to play with the peddle to get it there. I changed the iac and it is the same.

• Sponsors (?)

Pulled codes and got stuff from me deleting the egr system. Iac connector has 12 volts with key on. It changes to a rapid fluctuation when running. New iac and no change. Looks to me like the computer is not working correctly.

No. Only codes that would show are if the idle is too high, or an “unable to control idke” code.

perform the base idle reset. Unplug the IAC and lower the throttle screw down to where the engine barely stays running. Reset ECU and then plug in the IAC and try again

Reactions: 1 user
I did the base idle reset. Set it down to 750 rpm. Iac unplugged set to 750. Iac plugged back in. Started engine and it searched but eventually idled. Let it run 3 minutes shen shut off. Waited 2 minutes then started again with lights on bright and ac on full blast. It searched a bit then died. I started it again and got it to idle pumping the gas peddle. Turned off the ac and it stayed steady. When I turned the ac back on high it dropped 2 thousand rpm.

I did get a code 12. Idle rpm too high.

I don't know where you found the idle reset procedure, but there are 2 omissions:

(1.) The base mechanical idle must be set at 600 RPM + or - 25 RPM.
(2.) The SPOUT jumper must be removed to lock out the ignition advance. If the ignition advance is not disabled, the computer will advance the ignition timing and raise the idle RPM.

The following instructions when properly executed, will fix the Code 12 Idle rpm too high problem.

IAC troubleshooting

Revised 24-Dec-2020 to clean up text and add SPOUT connector picture.

IAC doesn't work: look for +12 volts at the IAC red wire. Then check for continuity between the white/lt blue wire and pin 21 on the computer. The IAC connector contacts will sometimes corrode and make the IAC not work. The red wire on the IAC is always hot with the engine in run mode. The computer provides a ground for the current for the IAC. It switches the ground on and off, making a square wave with a varying duty cycle. A normal square wave would be on for 50% of the time and off for 50% of the time. When the idle speed is low, the duty cycle increases more than 50% to open the IAC more. When the engine speed is high, it decreases the duty cycle to less than 50% to close the IAC. An old-fashioned dwell meter can be used to check the change: I haven’t tried it personally, but it should work. In theory, it should read ½ scale of whatever range you set it on with a 50% duty cycle. An Oscilloscope is even better if you can find someone who has one and will help.

attachments\58887

Automobile computers use current sink technology. They do not source power to any relay, solenoid or actuator like the IAC, fuel pump relay, or fuel injectors. Instead the computer provides a ground path for the positive battery voltage to get back to the battery negative terminal. That flow of power from positive to negative is what provides the energy to make the IAC, fuel pump relay, or fuel injectors work. No ground provided by the computer, then the actuators and relays don't operate.

We are going to supply an artificial ground path to the IAC instead of letting the computer supply the ground.

Start the engine and let it warm up.

Take one of the cheap inline fuse holders with a 5 amp fuse in it. Use it to bypass the blue/white wire to ground. You'll have to get creative probing the back side of the IAC wiring with safety pins or paper clips. Since the computer doesn't supply any voltage, but supplies a ground, that can't hurt the computer. The 5 amp fuse protects you and the wiring if there is an internal short in the IAC coil.

The engine should speed up when the fuse holder wire is grounded and slow down or stall when the fuse holder wire is disconnected from ground.

Recommended procedure for cleaning the IAC/IAB:
Conventional cleaning methods like throttle body cleaner aren’t very effective. The best method is a soak type cleaner used for carburetors. If you are into fixing motorcycles, jet skis, snowmobiles or anything else with a small carburetor, you probably have used the one gallon soak cleaners like Gunk or Berryman. One of the two should be available at your local auto parts store for $22-$29. Take the solenoid off the body and set it aside: the carb cleaner will damage some types of plastic parts. Soak the metal body in the carb cleaner overnight. There is a basket to set the parts in while they are soaking. When you finish soaking overnight, twist the stem of the IAB/IAC that sticks out while the blocker valve is seated. This removes any leftover deposits from the blocker valve seat. Rinse the part off with water and blow it dry with compressed air. The IAC/IAB should seal up nicely now. Once it has dried, try blowing through the bottom hole and it should block the air flow. If it doesn't block the airflow, there is still something that is gumming up the works. Reassemble and reinstall to check it out.

Gunk Dip type carb & parts soaker:
21hb0QWbOeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Setting the base idle speed:
First of all, the idle needs to be adjusted to where the speed is at or below 600 RPM with the IAC disconnected. If you have a wild cam, you may have to raise this figure 100-150 RPM or so. Then the electrical signal through the IAC can vary the airflow through it under computer control. Remember that the IAC can only add air to increase the base idle speed set by the mechanical adjustment. The 600 RPM base idle speed is what you have after the mechanical adjustment. The IAC increases that speed by supplying more air under computer control to raise the RPM’s to 650-725 RPM’s. This figure will increase if you have a wild cam, and may end up between 800-950 RPM

Remember that changing the mechanical idle speed adjustment changes the TPS setting too.

This isn't the method Ford uses, but it does work.
Do not attempt to set the idle speed until you have fixed all the codes and are sure that there are no vacuum leaks.

Disconnect the battery negative terminal and turn the headlights on. Leave the battery negative terminal disconnected for 5 minutes or so. Then turn the headlights off and reconnect the battery. This erases the computer settings that may affect idle performance.

Warm the engine up to operating temperature, place the transmission in neutral, and set the parking brake. Turn off lights, A/C, all unnecessary electrical loads. Disconnect the IAC electrical connector. Remove the SPOUT plug. This will lock the ignition timing so that the computer won't change the spark advance, which changes the idle speed.

SPOUT Connector
spout-connector-jpg.668761

SPOUT Jumper
spout-jumper-jpg.609796

Note the engine RPM: use the mechanical adjustment screw under the throttle body to raise or lower the RPM until you get the 600 RPM mark +/- 25 RPM. A wild cam may make it necessary to increase the 600 RPM figure to 700 RPM or possibly a little more to get a stable idle speed.
Changing the mechanical adjustment changes the TPS, so you will need to set it. Anything between.6 and 1.0 volt is good. There is no advantage to setting it to .99; that is a BOZO Internet myth, complete with red nose and big floppy shoes.

When you are satisfied with the results, turn off the engine, and re-install the SPOUT and reconnect the IAC. The engine should idle with the range of 650-750 RPM without the A/C on or extra electrical loads. A wild cam may make this figure somewhat higher.

Attachments

• SPOUT connector.jpg
    SPOUT connector.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 695
  • ?hash=7ce039c54354fbaa8d944e7ef06f16d7.jpg
    ?hash=7ce039c54354fbaa8d944e7ef06f16d7.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Tried base idle reset at 750 and at 950. No difference. Can’t tell there is a iac at all. The computer seems to grab the rpm drop. Give it gas and let go. It drops low then comes back up.
The computer is striving to maintain idle ~675 RPMs if you’re setting the base idle higher than what’s commanded the computer is going to shutdown the IAC duty cycle to pretty much 0 as it’s not required to maintain the targeted idle.

The issue with the idle dropping and recovering is due to the dashpot function not being able to compensate for the mods like your aggressive cam to gracefully lower the idle when coming off the throttle.

Do a proper base idle reset like mentioned above, but I suspect you will never get it to drive like you want without a tune.

Not sure if this helps.-
Idle Air Trim
Idle Air Trim is designed to adjust the Idle Air Control (IAC) calibration to correct for wear and aging of components. When engine conditions meet the learning requirement, the strategy monitors the engine and determines the values required for ideal idle calibration. The Idle Air Trim values are stored in a table for reference. This table is used by the PCM as a correction factor when controlling idle speed. The table is stored in Keep Alive Random Access Memory (RAM) and retains the learned values even after the engine is shut off. A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is output if the Idle Air Trim has reached its learning limits.

Whenever an IAC component is replaced or cleaned or a service affecting idle is performed, it is recommended that Keep Alive RAM be cleared. This is necessary so the idle strategy does not use the previously learned Idle Air Trim values.

It is important to note that erasing DTCs with a scan tool does not reset the Idle Air Trim table. [ I would suggest taking battery cable off for at least 20 minutes]. An hour would even be better to erase the deep cell PCM memory. Then try the following procedure next paragraph. More importanly keep in mind that the new IAC could be defective. Another food for thought is that an advanced bidirectional (can turn IAC on and off live) scanner [at local garage $100] could read your IAC parameters live, also while monitoring other live fuel data and components.

Once Keep Alive RAM has been reset, the engine must idle for 15 minutes (actual time varies between strategies) to learn new idle air trim values. Idle quality will improve as the strategy adapts. Adaptation occurs in four separate modes. The modes are shown in the following table.

IDLE AIR trIM LEARNING MODES

Transmission Range Air Conditioning Mode
NEUtrALA/C ON
NEUtrALA/C OFF
DRIVEA/C ON
DRIVEA/C OFF

Not sure if this helps.-
Idle Air Trim
Idle Air Trim is designed to adjust the Idle Air Control (IAC) calibration to correct for wear and aging of components. When engine conditions meet the learning requirement, the strategy monitors the engine and determines the values required for ideal idle calibration. The Idle Air Trim values are stored in a table for reference. This table is used by the PCM as a correction factor when controlling idle speed. The table is stored in Keep Alive Random Access Memory (RAM) and retains the learned values even after the engine is shut off. A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is output if the Idle Air Trim has reached its learning limits.

Whenever an IAC component is replaced or cleaned or a service affecting idle is performed, it is recommended that Keep Alive RAM be cleared. This is necessary so the idle strategy does not use the previously learned Idle Air Trim values.

It is important to note that erasing DTCs with a scan tool does not reset the Idle Air Trim table. [ I would suggest taking battery cable off for at least 20 minutes]. An hour would even be better to erase the deep cell PCM memory. Then try the following procedure next paragraph. More importanly keep in mind that the new IAC could be defective. Another food for thought is that an advanced bidirectional (can turn IAC on and off live) scanner [at local garage $100] could read your IAC parameters live, also while monitoring other live fuel data and components.

Once Keep Alive RAM has been reset, the engine must idle for 15 minutes (actual time varies between strategies) to learn new idle air trim values. Idle quality will improve as the strategy adapts. Adaptation occurs in four separate modes. The modes are shown in the following table.

IDLE AIR trIM LEARNING MODES

Transmission Range Air Conditioning Mode
NEUtrALA/C ON
NEUtrALA/C OFF
DRIVEA/C ON
DRIVEA/C OFF

OBD1 does not have the same capabilities as OBD2 - there is no bidirectional data transport built into OBD1 code reader port.

If there is a Motes Quarterhorse accessory board plugged into the J3 data port and using software on you laptop or desktop computer you can read and write to the EEC-IV computer.

See https://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18516

Ok just got around to another base idle reset with the car hot and the pill and iac unplugged.
Set the idle adjustment up kinda high and started it up. Lowered the idle down as low as possible that kept it running.
Unhooked battery with lights on bright.
Waited 10 minutes.
Turned off lights and started it up. I had to help it settle on an rpm.
Let it idle for 3 minutes with no accessories on.
Shut it off and waited 2 minutes.
Started it back up and the idle went up and down a few time then quit. Started it back up and helped it come to an idle.
Turned on lights to high and ac on high. It kept running but the rpms dropped at least 100.

Still sucks
Lol I figured as much. I spent 2 years tweaking my HCI with base idle resets and all the other stuff. I got the car and got it to run very well, but there were still a few drivablity issues. Like a hot start surge and stalling when coming to a stop with the AC on. I bought a Moates Quarterhorse and had Decipha at efidynotuning.com do a custom tune for me based on his A9L2. We were able to tweak all the idle and dashpots to deal with these issues. Plus I have full access to everything to tweak the tune if needed.

Update.
Took out the China 4 hole 24lb injectors and put in a set of rebuilt ford 1 hole 24lb injectors.
Base idle reset at 800.
Idles cold. Idles hot. Idles cold and hot with ac on max but drops 100 rpm which I can live with.
Settles down nicely after revving.
Thanks for all the help.
Now I am just waiting on the next problem to drive me crazy again.