ignition problem

jake82ga

Feb 24, 2008
i have a 1990gt and i just took the fuel injection off and running a carb but i put the efi distributor in and it fired right up no skipping,popping r nothing then i cut the car off and tried to crank it and it wouldnt crank it kept popping and shooting fire up through the top of the carb i have a msd 6al box but i was just wondering if i could use that distributor with a carb are if there is a way i could run the harness to the box please help before i cut the top off the car and make it a flower pot

• Sponsors (?)

What did you expect? the EFI distributor relies on the computer inputs to manage the ignition timing. No inputs from working sensors and your ignition timing is all messed up.

If you are going to use a carb, do it right. Do not attempt to leave the EFI in place in an attempt to control either the electric fuel pump or ignition. Doing so qualifies you for the “Road Kill Mechanics Award”.

While you are at the electrical part, you'll need a Durspark or similar ignition system. The 85 Mustang GT 5 speed has a suitable Duraspark distributor with a steel gear compatible with the roller camshaft. Running a fixed timing setting is only for test purposes or for a race track only car. Don't try it on the street: the results will not be nearly as good as a properly setup Durspark or equal. Crane makes a really nice distributor for non-EFI applications. . See http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=4&prt=127 for more information.

You may have taken jrichker's answer harshly, but I can vouch for both jrichker's knowledge on the subject (based on his thousands of valuable posts), and the Crane dizzy suggested. I use that distributor with a Crane HI-6 box on my carbed 85 and am very pleased with the setup. It's a little pricey, but it's certainly cheaper than a tow truck. Good luck and welcome to Stangnet.

im sorry about the comment i posted early i was just frustrated about the car but thanks for all yalls replys i will defintley but that distributor thanks again but i was just trying it out i heard it wouldnt work i was just trying

lol, I understand where you were coming from jake. I'm pretty sure you can use a TFI distributor somehow with a carb, but there are various things you need to modify, and I don't know how it's done, but it's certainly not worth using it. Do what these guys suggested.