In the market for my first 4.6

mustanglouie

Dec 30, 2004
Oakwood GA
I drive a 95 5.0 right now but am looking for a replacement real soon. I am looking for a 02-04 GT. I am wondering if there is any difference between these year models. Like hp ratings or exterior looks besides wheels. I am mostly looking for any kind of problem with any of these year models. Good or Bad. Please help a future 4.6 owner out. Thanks
Lou

• Sponsors (?)

99-mid 01 GT's still have the crappy non-aluminum crossover intake manifold that is almost garunteed to crack and need replacing.

Mid model year 01+ got the aluminum crossover.

99-mid 01 GT's still got the T45 transmission from the 96+ model year. Its not as "strong" as the TR-3650 that the mid 01+ GT's got, but my God does it have many less issues. There is a zillion page long thread on people having problems with their 3650 transmissions. Hardly a peep about a troublesome T45.

99-00 GT's (possibly through mid 01, but I think late 00 was the cutoff) had Windsor 4.6's, 01+ had Romeo engines. The Windsors are supposidly a little more stout in the bottom end, but ive seen a decent amount of posts about people spinning bearings in 99/00 GT's as compared to 01+.

Thats all I can think of really, im sure soeone else will have something to say.

I know you said 02+, but the 01's are the same as the 02's basically, and I figured id give the heads up about all 99+ 4.6's.

Looks wise the 02+ got the hood scoop and side scoops. They newer you can get the better. Ive always been told not to buy the first year of a new body style because it will have the most problems.

The 01 cars also had the scoops.

BTW I moved this thread to talk.

Just my two cents.....

I bought a '99 last May from my future brother in law. Very well taken care of and was in great shape. If you are looking at 99-04's, I would recommend a '99 or 2000, just because of the T45 tranny. Would you rather deal with a $200 part (intake manifold)on your 1999 or 2000 model year or frequently have issues with your Tremec 3650 tranny?

Someone stated that the hood scoops on the 01's arent the ghey inverted ones that I have, but that can always be solved with finding a donor one or buying a Cobra R hood. The 99's and 00's are usually a few thousand cheaper that the 01's up too. Hell, close to where i live for an 04 with 25k miles it costs 8k more than a 99 'vert with some basic mods to it with roughly 60k miles....

Remember that your going to have to make a decision not based on everyone on :SNSign: 's opinion but your own decision as to what you want.