Roush Inputs on kids with fast mustangs...

98 Saleen Cobra

Sep 10, 2005
Campbell, Ca
Hey guys. So I'm just curious how adults feel about punk kids with fast cars. I'm 17 going on 18 and leaving April 4th for Bootcamp with the USCG and I've had my Saleen since 16yrs old. Granted I have been driving it since 14 and I've attended 2 racing schools, there have been a few times where I have scared myself. So i'm just curious what the adults think of kids with fast cars.. I'm looking for honest answers..

• Sponsors (?)

If you dont mind...

If you don't mind a womans response? I grew up with rear wheel drive cars. Most "kids" today have only driven front wheel drive cars. I got extremely angry when America's Extreme Makeovers gave an 18 year old girl a Ford Mustang GT. Why? Because she had no experience with a car with that kind of power. I hope she is still alive and or hasn't wrecked it yet. I really hope Mom & Dad made her take a driving class to learn how to handle it. Good for you for taking driving classes...PRO Classes. I don't care if kids drive them as long as they don't get stupid. We all pay for someone elses stupidity with our insurance rates. Mine went up because of accidents caused not by me, but from others who have wrecked theirs. Thanks for letting me speak, it's mostly guys on this site.:hail2:

dont mind if i chime in.. i just turned 21.. and ive had 3 mustangs - as my only 3 cars.. (98gt, 04mach1, 03scsaleen), and no my parents havnt spent a penny on any of them for me!! ... ive never taken an driving classes, which i wanna just to learn to drive that much better and safer in the right situations.. im all for any1 having a mustang as long as its treated right! i know i can act stupid at times, but not any diff. then 99% of the people on here have, or 99% of the people who have cars like ours have

wise beyond ur years

You said a few things in a short post that should make those close to you proud.

As far as punk kids....it seems its just not kids in mustangs, etc but just punks in general doing stupid things. It seems having a Saleen or a type of car like that brings out that stupidity...no matter what car or AGE! Although at least when I see a kid doing it, it think he is a kid but what drives me crazy is when I see an adult being stupid (soemtimes with family in car) im like dont they know better.

Its pretty clear they cant drive. They do stupid things when there is a ton of traffic around. An example is the last say 5 or 6 times this week alone I have made my regular trip from my house to my girlfriends, around rushour, I have had:

A person in a chevy 2500 try to race a few times and actually went past his turnoff evident by when i got off he turned around.

A newer Nissan Maxim try to race me off the line then through traffic.

An older maxim - ditto

something esle just dont remember.

I dunno, I'm an "adult" but I still drive like a "punk kid" so I dunno what to say. I bought my first stang ('02 GT) right outta college and my 2nd one (Mach) 2 years later. I've always taken it easy in traffic and what not but hammer it everywhere else, IMO it's the ricers weaving all over the place that give performance enthusiasts a bad name.

I'm 20 and my first car was a hand me down pontiac grand am it wqas still pretty quick but nothing compared to a mustang (or as my dad calls it "a road rocket"). I think it all depends what type of person you are. If your a show off you'll probably drive like an a**hole. If you care about your toys and just like the fact that you are driving an american legend you will drive normal. I hardly ever see a mustang driver being an idiot its usually Ricers that drive like idiots!!

It isn't your age that is the determining factor, but how you drive. You can be as irresponsible a driver at age 18 as at age 58. At our autocross club, we had a couple of kids (ages 16-18 with a parent's written permission and with a legal license, preferrably parent present) who were driving prepared autocross cars with over 300 hp and they were very responsible and professional. Sure they might have taken out some cones or spun the car, but they learned to respect the car, and how to drive well. I encourage ANYONE who wants to learn to drive better, legally, to take up autocrossing. When I have children of driving age, you can be sure they will be autocrossing as soon as they get their license.

That being said, I wasn't ready to drive a high horsepower car at age 16 when I got my license. I would have gotten serious speeding infractions and possibly gotten into an accident.

From your comments and the fact that you have attended schools, I don't think you are a "punk kid". I wouldn't make any distinction or bias against you because of your age. It is all mentality.

The most people I see driving like idiots are people in normal cars. Tailgaiting, signaling poorly (if at all), and just basically asinine driving in general.

Acheron315 said:
The most people I see driving like idiots are people in normal cars. Tailgaiting, signaling poorly (if at all), and just basically asinine driving in general.

That kills me, moms on cellphones a lot of the time, in SUVs or Minivans, on the Capital Beltway are the worst culprits.

I have had my 02 saleen since I was 15, im now 20....Have drivin all 40K miles on it...Got a couple tickets along the way but whos counting....:D
My brother also had a lightning when he turned 16...
I really dont think age matters, its just commen sense and responsibility...

Going with the theme

Age or the car really has nothing to do with it, its a maturity factory. I've seen better 16 year drivers then 40 year old drivers. Further more, you can get into all kinds of trouble with ANY type of car you drive. Simply put, blame the parents. If their son / daughter isn't ready to drive in a responsible matter, they shouldn't be on the road in any vehicle......

Alice Colby said:
If you don't mind a womans response? I grew up with rear wheel drive cars. Most "kids" today have only driven front wheel drive cars. I got extremely angry when America's Extreme Makeovers gave an 18 year old girl a Ford Mustang GT. Why? Because she had no experience with a car with that kind of power. I hope she is still alive and or hasn't wrecked it yet. I really hope Mom & Dad made her take a driving class to learn how to handle it. Good for you for taking driving classes...PRO Classes. I don't care if kids drive them as long as they don't get stupid. We all pay for someone elses stupidity with our insurance rates. Mine went up because of accidents caused not by me, but from others who have wrecked theirs. Thanks for letting me speak, it's mostly guys on this site.:hail2:

Glad to here a womans response, they should always have there opinion, and yes you are the first woman I have seen on this forum that's awesome!!

Great feedback guys and girls... It's good to know other people's opinion on this matter. The reason why I bring it up, is because some people tend to stereotype the youth drivers as really bad drivers, but it's good to know that you guys don't. I agree that it is all about the maturity of the driver. Luckly my dad taught me how to drive this car so I wouldn't kill myself. I've driven with a few of my friends and they drive crazy.. Luckly though they have all been pulled over for speeding.. And have hopefully learned there leason.. Thanks for the feedback.. Keep the comments comin though..:D

do-it said:
no disrespect to the Coast Guard but with all your Mustang flying time you should be going in the Air Force - lol

LOL my uncle was in the Air Force during Desert Storm, and he enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again. I've also been in a Military Program for 5 years, and I've checked out all the branches. The Coast Guard doesn't send people to Iraq, I like driving my Saleen, and I like being home so there yea go!! I guess I'm just not that hard core..LOL:D :flag:

In agreement with the theme here. I know I dont have a saleen now, but have grown up owning Mustangs (8 to date) and will buy a Saleen once out of college. I have convinced a chevy lover to buy an SCs281 and drive my fathers terminator weekly though. I would have to say its all in the decisions on how to drive it, but a big factor you mentioned was your father. I am in my mid 20's and have never wrecked, and have a ticket free record. Its all in good teaching my friend, and it appears as though you have gotten it. There are a lucky few that are as fortunate as you. Congrats on your beautiful car and maturity at a young age.

fiveohwblow said:
In agreement with the theme here. I know I dont have a saleen now, but have grown up owning Mustangs (8 to date) and will buy a Saleen once out of college. I have convinced a chevy lover to buy an SCs281 and drive my fathers terminator weekly though. I would have to say its all in the decisions on how to drive it, but a big factor you mentioned was your father. I am in my mid 20's and have never wrecked, and have a ticket free record. Its all in good teaching my friend, and it appears as though you have gotten it. There are a lucky few that are as fortunate as you. Congrats on your beautiful car and maturity at a young age.

Thanks you, I appreciate it. And I'm sure that you will have your Saleen soon. The only reason why I have mine is because I worked on it, and I know how to drive it, and last but not least I signed my name with the Coast Guard.. But you will have yours soon..:nice:

98 Saleen Cobra said:
Glad to here a womans response, they should always have there opinion, and yes you are the first woman I have seen on this forum that's awesome!!

Thanks, I check out alot of Stangnets "other" forums because I like to laugh at some of the comments, rib a few guys, AND get educated about the other style Mustangs. If I was going to re-do my 05 and add a body kit for starters I'd have to go with the Saleen look. Like it better than Roush...although if Foose would want to make it over for me I might not object. I don't like re-arranging the fog lights on the 05 though like he does. Everyone had good imput on this, it really is the "bad" drivers that cause evryone problems. Thanks.:hail2: I just saw the upgrades I'll do to mine. It's the OH MY GOD I'm in love thread in Northwest discussion. Foose did it MY WAY!!!

Nice foose is awesome, they have some good lookin body kits, but I still like the saleen style the best.. That's good that your getting educated on all the styles, it's important; and also you will know more about cars than most guys..!! lol