Installing 2000 GT motor in my 96 GT??

desman

Jul 13, 2005
Hello,

I have a good lead on a complete 2000 GT motor that I want to put in my 96GT. Just wondering If anyone who has done one of these swaps, should I expect any troubles and is there alot of extra's I will need to get in order to make the swap complete??? Or is it a simple bolt in and hook everything up??

thnx alot, appreciate the help:)

• Sponsors (?)

the 00GT has the Coil on Plugs instead of a distributor. you'll need the 00GT ECU. there are people who've done it and it's not that hard. but i don't have all the answers.

DBMSTNG said:
the 00GT has the Coil on Plugs instead of a distributor. you'll need the 00GT ECU. there are people who've done it and it's not that hard. but i don't have all the answers.

He does not have to use the COP's from the 2000, all he has to do is swap the coil packs from his 96. Does not need the 00 ECU, he can use his 96 ECU.

deftsound said:
why not just put in the pi heads and cams?

for one my car has 165,000 km's on it and is starting to go through oil and second the engine/install probably isn't much more than getting PI heads/intake/cam and installing.

RedGTvert said:
He does not have to use the COP's from the 2000, all he has to do is swap the coil packs from his 96. Does not need the 00 ECU, he can use his 96 ECU.

So you think it should just fit right in and bolt/hook up and I'll be good to go??

desman said:
So you think it should just fit right in and bolt/hook up and I'll be good to go??

Yes Im haveing the same type swap done right now on my 98, the only thing I have extra is a slightly moded block (pistons, new bearings, rings ect....) my heads have been ported and I have comp cams. Everything I have came out of a 2002 GT, and It will all bolt right in, just have to change over some parts off my orginal 98 motor. :D

98blackmagic said:
Yes Im haveing the same type swap done right now on my 98, the only thing I have extra is a slightly moded block (pistons, new bearings, rings ect....) my heads have been ported and I have comp cams. Everything I have came out of a 2002 GT, and It will all bolt right in, just have to change over some parts off my orginal 98 motor. :D

sweet. Looking forward to a PI motor!!

98blackmagic said:

SO did you actually install the complete 2002 motor into your 98 car or did you take off the heads/intake and other parts and transfer onto your original 98 motor?? I'm wanting to put a complete 2000gt motor into my 96gt

the motor will bolt right in. Just swap everything over the Coil Packs, Spark Plug Wires, Engine Wiring Harness, etc.. From your 96 Motor. We have done tons of these swaps. The only thing that you will really have to get done is tap the coolant cross over tube on the intake for the extra water temp sensor that your car has on it now. (Make sure that it has an aluminum cross over though)..If it doesnt we have a kit that seems to work pretty good. Just let me know. Hope that helped out a little bit. Let us know if you have anymore questions. Good Luck!

desman said:
SO did you actually install the complete 2002 motor into your 98 car or did you take off the heads/intake and other parts and transfer onto your original 98 motor?? I'm wanting to put a complete 2000gt motor into my 96gt

My motor is kind of a custom put togther deal, the block is out of a 02GT, the heads came off a 2000 model and have been worked MAJOR stage 2 ports, valves, springs, the intake is from Livernois Motorsports, most of the other parts are new pisons, bearings, injectors, ect.................Any thing that has to be swaped over such as the fuel system and coil packs will be off the orginal NON PI motor in my car now. It is going slower than I want but hopefully the new one will be in and everything hooked up by sometime next week, I will be posting a lot of pics be looking for them. :nice:

1. swap your coil packs and plug wires over
2. swap oil pressure sensor over (located on the oil filter/cooler housing)
3. Swap your fuel rail (injectors can stay)
4. Swap the main engine harness right over
5. do yourself a favor and BUY the updated NON PI alum coolant crossover (no tapping required)
6. Your computer will work fine
7. Bolt it all in and plug in all the connectors and start it up and have fun!!

Pretty straightforward and easy swap

Mod Man said:
the motor will bolt right in. Just swap everything over the Coil Packs, Spark Plug Wires, Engine Wiring Harness, etc.. From your 96 Motor. We have done tons of these swaps. The only thing that you will really have to get done is tap the coolant cross over tube on the intake for the extra water temp sensor that your car has on it now. (Make sure that it has an aluminum cross over though)..If it doesnt we have a kit that seems to work pretty good. Just let me know. Hope that helped out a little bit. Let us know if you have anymore questions. Good Luck!

What he said^^^
If you need more info just use the search function and type in "engine swap" or get back to us if you run into difficulties :nice:

Mod Man said:

Exactly! I know when i did it to my car, it was running pretty rich afterwards.. so it needed a tune... you might and might not.. but it probly wouldn't hurt..