Installing Valve Covers

Mavrick

Founding Member
Aug 29, 2002
Collingwood, ON
I have some chrome edelbrock valve covers that i want to install. BLING BLING.

Do i just rip the upper intake off, and swap the valve covers? Is there anything i really need to be careful with this?

Will i need new gaskets for the valve covers, or can i use the old ones? What about the intake upper to lower gasket? Will silicone, or RTV be needed for either?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

well i just polished out both my upper intake an valve covers... See how bad they are.. I have the felpro metal valve cover gaskets that from that i was told can be reused. As far as the upper to lower intake gasket it was gonna be 50 bucks and a special order item for my explorer upper so i just reused it. Checked for vacum leaks with a can of carb cleaner an nuttin so i guess its all just up to you an your own jugdment on how they look....

Two long bolts under the plate and two short bolts at back and two more at the front for 6 total. The upper to lower gasket can be reused if its in decent shape an should be installed dry.

Taking off the upper is really fast and easy if you've done it once. Just unplug the EGR sensor, TPS, IAB, and disconnect the EGR spacer coolant lines, PCV, fuel pressure regulator/EGR/firewall vacuum lines, and the vacuum line that goes to the front underside of the upper from the charcoal canister way under the airbox. Unbolt the upper and pull it out.

they are not much at all, go to autozone and just buy new ones, if you have a stock upper the gasket for that should be really inexpensive at autozone, just get them there dont buy from ford. they work fine... put rtv on the part of the gasket where it meets the valve cover, dont put it on the part where the gasket meets the head. this way you dont have to worry about it falling off, and it seals perfectly... i always play it safe, spend a few extra bucks and get you some new gaskets