intermittent clutch pedal vibration/ rattling sound

dstang01

Sep 22, 2005
Vancouver, BC
When I purchased the stang in the fall it had a bad throwout bearing (the signature little squeal when the pedal is not depressed), so I had it replaced. Recently, ive been having an intermittent problem where the clutch pedal begins to vibrate vigourously accompanied by a rattling, squealing sound from under the car (sounds like chains rubbing together and a squeal alot more... angry... than the throwout bearing squeal). This happens in any gear and also in neutral, and it happens when the pedal is not depressed. Pushing in the clutch a little solves the problem. Some days the car will drive perfectly fine, and other days it has this problem. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? :shrug: Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I just saw that for the first time on someone else's mustang about a year ago. It freaked me out. I looked down with dust cover off the fork, and the clutch fork was jumping back and forth. It turns out he had a bent tooth on his clutch diaphram that was hitting the throwout bearing and making the fork jump back and forth. Anyway, my guess is that you have the same thing, and you need a new clutch.

Kurt