Introducing myself

HDTony

Oct 15, 2010
Plainfield IL
Hello, I'm Tony. Getting back into classic muscle after about a 20 year break from my 68 Camaro and Cutlass of my teenage years. been working on building and riding bikes for many years and I am the owner of chicagolandsportbikes.com so I've spent a few years around forums and know the value of a good introduction. Glad to have found this community.

And it Begins. After selling off the Project Ducati 916, it's time to get started on a new adventure. Although this time around I am going the 4 wheel route.

Introducing Project Stang

It's a 1965 Mustang. It was originally sourced in arizona, by a local fellow where its been sitting in his garage for a few years. Car at the moment is about 95% original. The factory 6 is still in there, along with the 3 speed manual. Interior is very clean and in awesome shape from the headliner to the carpet.

After a few weeks of negotiating, we fired her up and drove her home. which surprisingly was a great experience, everything in this car actually works, even the parking brake, and it rides very smooth down the highway. restoration wont be as much work due to starting with such a clean car. the restoration portion will mostly be focused on fresh paint and a few small body repairs. the rest will be focusing on mods.
It will include:
  • a new 289 v8 that is sitting on my trailer at the moment waiting to be broken down.
  • a 4 or 5 speed manual trans
  • new posi rear end with 3:55 gearing
  • a drum to disc front brake conversion.
  • I'm also looking at options for installing power steering.

Stang1_800.jpg

Stang2_800.jpg

Stang3_800.jpg

Stang4_800.jpg

Stang5_800.jpg

Stang6_800.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like you found a very clean car there. Good luck with the resto and the mods that you choose to do. Gotta support the fellow coupes.

I can understand the above post in regards to keeping the car original and stock because it is in such good shape. However, the great thing about the coupes is that they were so massively produced in 65 and 66, that a little modifying (tastefully of course) while you do the restoration is fine. It would be different if it were an original V8 car, or more so if it were a vert or fastback, even more so if it was a GT with matching numbers all around. But with an original V6 Coupe, it only improves the car and does not hurt the value.... at least not now.

Just keep the integrity and the original lines of the car (sounds like that is your intention), and good luck with the car. Keep us posted.

Looks like you found a very clean car there. Good luck with the resto and the mods that you choose to do. Gotta support the fellow coupes.

I can understand the above post in regards to keeping the car original and stock because it is in such good shape. However, the great thing about the coupes is that they were so massively produced in 65 and 66, that a little modifying (tastefully of course) while you do the restoration is fine. It would be different if it were an original V8 car, or more so if it were a vert or fastback, even more so if it was a GT with matching numbers all around. But with an original V6 Coupe, it only improves the car and does not hurt the value.... at least not now.

Just keep the integrity and the original lines of the car (sounds like that is your intention), and good luck with the car. Keep us posted.