Iorn power heads vs aluminum y303's

JimTMich

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan
So what is a better choice for the same money, a set of aluminum y303's or a set of iorn power heads (ported e7's). looks like the powerheads flow better, but the y303's are aluminum and would move the heat faster. My final destination is very mild: heads, ported 94/95 cobra intake and maby a very mild cam.

• Sponsors (?)

95snoozer said:
why not gt40Ps?
about the same price as the powerheads if new but then with the p's I would have to buy headers and have a less flow.

if used p's for 350ish off ebay shipped, then I wouldn't want to bolt them on without taking them to a machine shop where I could spend another 150 - 300 having them reworked, then I'm at the price of the powerhead with a lot less flow. I look at the time it takes to swap heads, and I don't want to bold on unknown quality, I would rather spend the $ up front so I don't have to do the job again.

wytstang said:
Why not call autozone and tell them you need heads for a 97 Explorer 5.0 and see how much they run you (after core charge)

I stopped by a junk yard and they said $500 used. Just to see if they were playing with me I said how much for 95gt head and they tapped on their computer and said $90 used. I'll have to try auto zone again, they were clueless last time I talked to them.

JimTMich said:
I stopped by a junk yard and they said $500 used. Just to see if they were playing with me I said how much for 95gt head and they tapped on their computer and said $90 used. I'll have to try auto zone again, they were clueless last time I talked to them.

heads for a 99 or a 97 explorer are not available......

Ported E7s work very well. Just mill them a little to get the compression up, and you will have a killer set of heads. You can even put slightly bigger valves in them if you want, but it is not necessary. I think that would be less of a hassle for the performance you are looking for. Run them with a Steeda #18 cam.

Kurt

If you want some gt-40p's that have already been cleaned up, let me know, I could get you some for a good price.

If you do decide to go with y303, they are about 20lbs lighter (each) than irons, weigh makes a difference in speed...

wytstang said:
I seriously doubt they would know the difference between the two. They don't really hire automotive geniuses there.

yeah I didnt think they would. I just called another autozone and they quoted me 189 each with core. I wish I would ahve known this sooner. Now I wish I could just find a loophole and get some good cheap heads for my 351. Anyone know how I could do this.

Dustin