is it normal or not.

shawnaj7731

Jan 19, 2006
Is it normal or not. I have 01 bullitt 25k on it and when I shift from 1 to 2 it seems to be a little bit harder to get into 2nd but the rest of the gears are very easy. If it is not normal then what can it be. No aftermarket shifters or afm clutch or anything?

• Sponsors (?)

This is the TR3650 1-2 gear grind. It is covered by a TSB and Ford will fix it for free.

Take it to your dealer.

TSB 15175
2001 Mustang - T-3650 Transmission shift fork bending
Some 2001 V-8 Mustangs equipped with TR-3650 transmissions built from Feb-2001 to Aug 2001 may exhibit difficulty engaging 1st or 2nd gear. This may be due to an out-of-spec 1-2 shift fork. A new shift fork has been developed to service this condition (2r3z-7230-aa). Remove transmission and follow service procedures detailed in 308-03c for dissassembly and assembly of replacement 1-2 shift fork. Examine 1-2 syncronizer and blocking rings for any damage. Service as necessary following service procedures in 308-03c.

Kilgore Trout said:
This is the TR3650 1-2 gear grind. It is covered by a TSB and Ford will fix it for free.

Take it to your dealer.

TSB 15175
Some 2001 V-8 Mustangs equipped with TR-3650 transmissions built from Feb-2001 to Aug 2001 may exhibit difficulty engaging 1st or 2nd gear. This may be due to an out-of-spec 1-2 shift fork. A new shift fork has been developed to service this condition (2r3z-7230-aa). Remove transmission and follow service procedures detailed in 308-03c for dissassembly and assembly of replacement 1-2 shift fork. Examine 1-2 syncronizer and blocking rings for any damage. Service as necessary following service procedures in 308-03c.

:stupid: yup take it to the dealer if its a TSB it should be for free cause that was a f**k up from the factory

mine and my boys both do this in second. it is worse when cold or turning while shifting, but when the car has been driven for a while i dont notice it anymore.

Here is the thing I just bought my 2001 mustang 2 weeks ago, and my throwout bearing is squeeking like hell. I was finally able to convince the dealer to cover it.

I am wondering if they will fix the 2nd gear problem or not...... Its a 2001 with 25k on it and with a 90 day powertrain warranty. I am bring it in thrusday to do the tob. I was told if the clutch needed to be replace all I had to do was buy one and they would put it in for me since the tranny will already be out.

Is there anything I should bring to the dealership as far as like tsb copy or something etc. The problem only happens on cold day or when the car is not warmed up.

I wonder if any dealership will just repair the 2nd gear problem is it beyond the warranty from ford. If so then the dealer will just have the eat it cause they gave me a 90 day powertrain warranty.

Hell yes they will fix it, this is one of the most widely known common Mustang defects in the history of Ford...

Quote the wording in that TSB I posted above if you need to.

If all else fails go to a different dealer.

Yeah, I have a 2002 GT and 1-2 is, and always has been, terrible. I just bought the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and it didn't make any difference. Sometimes I also have trouble just putting the shifter into 1st. It's like it catches half-way into gear and I have to force it all the way in. Same thing often happens when I do a 5-2 shift. 1-2 usually is very rough and I miss 2nd quite a bit thanks to it.

Car has 80,000 miles on it. Is this something Ford would cover? (Please say yes.)

Kilgore Trout said:

Take it to your dealer.

TSB 15175

ok one problem. ford will NOT fix it for free out of the 3/36 period UNLESS you have a service contract. any of the ford service contracts WILL cover the repair.

the only other way is to go to your dealer and see if they can try to help you as far as a AWA goes. a AWA is when ford will pay for a percentage of a non warrenty repair.

the first step to try and use a AWA is to have it diaged at your dealer and talk to the serivce manager. if you do not get anywhere with the dealer you can try and contact your local ford office and see if the ford rep ( who has FINAL say anyways) will do anything for you. if he/she wont then you are out of options.

shawnaj7731 said:
Here is the thing I just bought my 2001 mustang 2 weeks ago, and my throwout bearing is squeeking like hell. I was finally able to convince the dealer to cover it.

I am wondering if they will fix the 2nd gear problem or not...... Its a 2001 with 25k on it and with a 90 day powertrain warranty. I am bring it in thrusday to do the tob. I was told if the clutch needed to be replace all I had to do was buy one and they would put it in for me since the tranny will already be out.

Is there anything I should bring to the dealership as far as like tsb copy or something etc. The problem only happens on cold day or when the car is not warmed up.

I wonder if any dealership will just repair the 2nd gear problem is it beyond the warranty from ford. If so then the dealer will just have the eat it cause they gave me a 90 day powertrain warranty.

only late 01's built after feb 01 will have the tr-3650 i have a jan 01 built car with a t-45

check your build date on your door. if it's close i can check for you to see if it's a tr-3650. but to do that i need your vin. if you want me to check that PM me

03ghoststang said:
:stupid: yup take it to the dealer if its a TSB it should be for free cause that was a f**k up from the factory

TSB's are not covered outside of factory warranty. only FSA's are FSA's are recalls.

the only way this will be something that ford will be forced to pay for is if enough people need to get a class action suit going. thats what got the intake problem fixed. this is a very drawn out and complicated process