is it normal or not.

powertrain.

I am wondering if the dealership themselves will fix the 2nd gear problem or not...... When I bought two weeks ago they did give me a 90 day powertrain warranty. I am bring it in thrusday to do the tob I am also going to tell them this problem and maybe they will just slap a new tranny it and get it over with. I was told if the clutch needed to be replace all I had to do was buy one and they would put it in for me since the tranny will already be out.

I think they should have to fix the 2nd gear problem via there 90 power train warranty statement.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a warped pressure plate on a 99 GT that made it tough to get into 2nd sometimes. No, it's not normal, and yes, it can likely be fixed. Have a tech at the dealer look at it and make a diagnosis. If it is just a warped pressure plate, a new clutch install should fix the problem.

Tripoli said:
Yeah, I have a 2002 GT and 1-2 is, and always has been, terrible. I just bought the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and it didn't make any difference. Sometimes I also have trouble just putting the shifter into 1st. It's like it catches half-way into gear and I have to force it all the way in.
I have the same issue - going from 1st to 2nd, it seems to stop just short of full engagement, then, with an extra tug, it'll pop into gear. But it never grinds. And I don't want to take it to Ford to have them try to fix it...it's just not that bad. It's worst when cold, but very bearable, just need to be aware of it.
Tripoli said:
Same thing often happens when I do a 5-2 shift.
Holy crap! 5th to 2nd? Is that really necessary? If you are actually doing this to slow the car down, you are really putting a strain on many parts.

twogts4us said:
Holy crap! 5th to 2nd? Is that really necessary? If you are actually doing this to slow the car down, you are really putting a strain on many parts.
No, no, no....not gear braking. Coasting, then doing a rolling stop around a turn or something.

Yeah 5-2 gear braking would be a nice way to see what happens when your motor hits 12,000 RPM. :rolleyes: Actually, I met a guy that did it once on accident. The entire inside of his engine compartment was covered in motor oil afterwards, but somehow the engine still ran. :nonono:

twogts4us said:
I have the same issue - going from 1st to 2nd, it seems to stop just short of full engagement, then, with an extra tug, it'll pop into gear. But it never grinds. And I don't want to take it to Ford to have them try to fix it...it's just not that bad. It's worst when cold, but very bearable, just need to be aware of it.

That's what I have. It'll even do it with the car off. I also have had the 3650 TSB done.

Check out the vid: http://www.03sbgt.com/videos/Shifter.avi

Tripoli said:
No, no, no....not gear braking. Coasting, then doing a rolling stop around a turn or something.

Yeah 5-2 gear braking would be a nice way to see what happens when your motor hits 12,000 RPM. :rolleyes: Actually, I met a guy that did it once on accident. The entire inside of his engine compartment was covered in motor oil afterwards, but somehow the engine still ran. :nonono:

i have done a 2-1 power shift and my car survived. i was at close to 6k and did a full on floor to the rug power shift thought i was going into 3rd and grabbed first. i do not know how it survived that one

SLY GT said:
If you want your TR3650 to shift as smooth as silk then do the following. Drain the tranny and refill with 3.5qts of Amsoil Synthetic ATF. End of story.
Tell me more.

ATF in a manual tranny? Obviously I don't know squat about these things, so please enlighten me.

One thing I read was that the 3650 likes Texaco Dextron III non-synthetic (I think).