Is it possible to get new tires without scratching painted rims?

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
WTF, i am so depressed right now, i have the worst luck. :( I went to Discount tire the first time around to get some tires mounted. The tires ended up not fitting (too wide) and i just ended up with banged up white rims. Well, I figured i would just get a set of new white saleens for the rear in 18x10 so the tires would fit. So i finally got the rims and took them in today to a different tire shop who is supposed to be recommended. Well, i get my brand spanking new rims back, and they are all scratched up too. :mad:

Now is it me being too OCD about having perfect painted white rims? Is it just a fact of life to end up with scratched up rims if you have to get new tires? I just need to know if i am over reacting and not worry about it, or go in and have them re-finish the white paint on both rims.

• Sponsors (?)

I think it depends on the equipment they use and also the operator. I'd go to a super high end wheel/Tire shop for fully painted wheels and chrome. Regular shops have standard tire machines and usually have the new/junior mechs changing tires. Guys making $8 hour don't take much pride in the work they do...but a tire guy making $20 hour will treat them like they are his own wheels. Problem is finding a High end Wheel shop in your area and they won't be cheap.

DropTopPony said:
I think it depends on the equipment they use and also the operator. I'd go to a super high end wheel/Tire shop for fully painted wheels and chrome. Regular shops have standard tire machines and usually have the new/junior mechs changing tires. Guys making $8 hour don't take much pride in the work they do...but a tire guy making $20 hour will treat them like they are his own wheels. Problem is finding a High end Wheel shop in your area and they won't be cheap.

Like he said it's probably both the equipment and the operator. We got a new tire machine in our shop and it works wonders. It's actually hard to scratch the rim. I work at a Volvo dealership, so our wheels are more high end and get scratched easily. The owner bought the machine so he wouldn't scratch his Ferrari wheels when he put new tires on. Equipment makes a huge difference.

If you cant find a high-end wheel/tire shop, could you just take it to the nearest high end car dealership and have them do it? Like the above post, a high end dealership probably takes better care of their customers cars/equipment than your typical Ford dealer or wheel/tire shop. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear about your luck. I take my rims and tires to an aftermarket wheel dealer. They usually have to be careful not to scratch up the chrome rims so they invest into quality machines and workers.

If I were you, I would have the previous installer repair or replace your hard earned rims.

cooter_11 said:
Like he said it's probably both the equipment and the operator. We got a new tire machine in our shop and it works wonders. It's actually hard to scratch the rim. I work at a Volvo dealership, so our wheels are more high end and get scratched easily. The owner bought the machine so he wouldn't scratch his Ferrari wheels when he put new tires on. Equipment makes a huge difference.

Indeed...we've got one of the latest/greatest mounter-balancer setups around. Just to be extra cautious I had our Ferrari tech mount mine (if anybody can be careful with wide, low-profile it would be him). My old shop had some old machines and it was a pain to mount tires without a problem. Noobees and low-paid techs definately make a difference too, but equipment is definately key. :nice:

Crap ass place i went to... called them today, asked them what to do about it. They told me they have a new 10K machine, but its still impossible to mount rims and low profile tires without the edges getting marred. WTF, stupid a-holes. They wont do anything about it, they said its not that bad, just the very edge tip of the wheels, live with it. I hope Karma gets them back. I got some touch up paint that matches, but i cant get a smooth brush stroke. When i got to touch them up, the paint gets bristle marks from the brush in it and it looks like ass. Any tips on what to use to get it to come out smooth as the powder coat?

I agree with those that say to go to a high end tire shop.. find a place that sells those huge hommie wheels.. I know dealers and reglar shops are not equiped for wheels like that and to top it off even if you get a senior tech, the flat rate pay system means he has to rush to make money..

I had white 17" on my integra that were freshly powdercoated. Big-O put some tires on and the rims were perfect, little dirty, but it all came off. If BIG-O can do it, im sure you can find someone who can do an adiquate job. Maybe I just got lucky and got a tech who knew what he was doing...I don't know, but I would definatly go back for some damages, at least they could give you some $$ back on the job they did. You could always threaten to bring a lawsuit into it...even if it's a bluff... :D

I take my rims/tires to the Ford Dealership in my town. They've got a rubber-coated machine, so it doesnt scratch or bend anything. I stand right there and watch the guy do it, also helps that I know most of the guys and they usually talk to me about my car. But if you can find a dealership or somewhere with a machine like that, then you should be in good hands :nice:

I make it a point to show them that there is no nicks or scratches and tell them up front if there is after they are paying for it. You will get different results in different Discount Tires. I drive 20 minutes to go to the one I like and I make sure the one guy is there that I know is experienced and careful. I havnt had any problems with the lip because mine are rolled but I did have a guy scratch my lug hole up pretty good with an air gun.