Is it really THAT easy?

C6AE

Mar 22, 2004
Ma.
I did a search on this and found some good info.
I think I need a new clutch pack in the rear of my `91 5.0 Coupe.
The axles have about 1/8" play in and out, although I would have SWORN it was 1/2" or better :( I measured it to be sure and then called a local guy who wants $250.00 +
Is this something a shade tree mechanic can do? (I do have a garage :D )
Have any tips for me?

• Sponsors (?)

well i have a 8.8 in my garage and i've just been messing with it seeing how fast i can tear down the diff unit, so far its only taken 2:30 seconds to tear just the diff unit down and pull the clutches out etc... And about 4min to put everything together. I'm working on doing it blindfolded next "this is for my assument only" But its not that hard really its really simple. take out the bolt at the top which holds the carrier pin. push pin out with finger, i use the back of a large screw driver to tap out the S spring, that then comes out. then turn one of the axle gears which should turn the spider gears and they'll pop out, then easily pull the axle gear with clutch packs out. NOW! this is how i've been doing it, there might be someone else who know's the probably way to doing this and so they know more than me, i'm not saying this is the proper way. Then replace the clutch disk's as how they were and install back into housing. Line the spider gears across from each other and then turn one gear and they should walk into place, make sure the lil flat bearing is on the backside of the spidergear before they go back in. Then put the S spring back into place with some force "i use a rubber mallet" insert the Carrier pin and then locking bolt. This was done on my work bench so of course if i dont have axles on it. but to remove the axles, take off the locking bolt from the carrier pin remove pin and push the axle in towards the diff and the C-Clip should show, pull the clip off and carefully remove the axles from the housing.
AGAIN! i'm not pro or ASE mechanic i'm just a 20 year old dude that doesnt know ***** for ***** but this is how i've been doing it and seems to work. I'm sure there's more guys on stangnet that have more to say on this. :nice:

Reinstalling the spider gears was a royal PITA when we did mine. The carrier was so tight, it took the good part of 30 minutes before we got the carrier back together. After putting my axles in place, it was another PITA to get the carrier pin in there. Wear pattern and backlash are the big things you have to check when rebuilding the traction lock, to insure it won't whine or make funky noises.

I did mine in my garage on my back and it didn't take that long to put together. It is absolutely something that you can do in your garage. Just remember that gear oil really really smells bad, so wear Rubber gloves and get it out of your garage as soon as possible or the stench will penetrate your house(gee can you hear the experience talking) Also be prepared to throw out the clothes you are wearing possibly.

1986LX2002 said:
well i have a 8.8 in my garage and i've just been messing with it seeing how fast i can tear down the diff unit, so far its only taken 2:30 seconds to tear just the diff unit down and pull the clutches out etc... And about 4min to put everything together. I'm working on doing it blindfolded next "this is for my assument only"

Man! You've got waaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands. LOL :lol: