is it really this slow?

so it doesn't make noise when you rev it up in neutral??? Using a timing light is a good indicator of where the noise is coming from. If it is in synch with the light flashing speed you know it's at half speed and most likely is not from the bottom end.

• Sponsors (?)

would an easy way to fix the problem be going to 50resto and buying the economy short block and transfering the rest of the parts from my motor to the new one? or would I be better off just rebuilding the motor thats in the car:shrug:

Don't get into the habit of making guesses and buying/replacing parts. You'll just end up broke and pissed.

Find out what the problem is, then fix it.

Make a video or at least a recording of the sound if you can, then post it up. There are plenty of people here trying to help you...but you have to help us help you.

And get the codes. If you want a more in depth explanation, just do a search for "codes".....I'm sure you'll get about 100 threads where JRichter has posted the instructions on how to pull the codes without a scanner.

But I'd still recommend buying a scanner....they more than pay for themselves.

Your first step when toubleshooting problems should always be to pull the codes and then fix them. If you still have problems after that, then you start diagnosing.

sorry for the lack of updates, I dont have internet for my phone so I cant email the video off my phone. My stepdad rode in the car today and after he listened to the noise he said it is predetonation. So tomorrow we are going to set the timing at 10 to see if that helps. Currently it is set at 12.

I may have suggested that a few days ago. :shrug:

Thank you:nice: Today was the first day we could look at the car because of my stepdad's work schedule. Hopefully that will fix the noise. When he said a crankshaft bearing he was just going by how I described it.

After he rode in it the first thing he said was the tranny is shot cause it won't hold 2nd gear very long and it doesn't want to shift out of third when slowing down.

After the timing is fixed next thing I am saving for is a 5 speed swap, to hell with auto's:notnice: